festivities

Darryl had bought a new outfit with Vincent's money. He was supposed to spend it on a gift, but he already had the perfect gift right in his house. It was the string dolls they had made in the orphanage.

He put a bow around the neck of the doll and packed it in a bag which he filled tissue paper. He added a note in the bag.

His parents were out on Friday, so they were ok with Darryl going. The party was going to last from 7:00 to who knows when. It wasn't a college party, so the guests were going to leave before sunrise, but they still weren't sure what time.

Darryl helped Vincent look for a gift. Darryl knew some things about Zak that he was able to tell Vincent. Zak's favorite color was blue, he like diamonds, his favorite number was 14, and he liked peanut butter.

None of that really helped while picking out a gift, but it was fun for Darryl to share. Vincent ended up buying a stylish suit that came with a variety of ties, rings, and random accessories. It was boring, but it was the best they could find.

When the day came, Darryl got ready at his house at 6:30. He wasn't a big fan of balls or parties, but was going to see if his old friend would remember him. He put on a suit, which he spent the gifted money on.

He tied the tie around his neck. He tied the laces of his shoes and walked over to Vincent's house. He knocked at the door and Vincent opened the door. Vincent was wearing a matching suit and had his hair fixed. Darryl didn't bother to fix his hair, he always thought it looked better the way it was.

"Wow. You look great," Vincent blurted.

"Thanks," Darryl smiled and took Vincent's arm as they walked to the palace. They both had their gifts in their hands.

Darryl had put the doll in a pretty blue and white gift bag that was filled with dark blue tissue paper. Vincent had his in a box that was wrapped in dark blue wrapping paper that was covered with black polka dots.

The two teen boys were in different classes, Vincent was in middle and Darryl was in lower, so they would be separated when getting their food. Darryl decided to not get the food at all since most of the foods at the lower class arrangement was gray and mushy.

When the two entered, they saw a large table that was overflown with gifts. Most of the gifts were in huge boxes and a couple were small jewelry boxes. There were barely any other lower class people at the party.

Zak was sitting at a chair at the end of the ballroom in boredom. Rocco wasn't allowed in that room, so he just had to sit there as he did nothing. He was wearing royal garments that looked to belong to his father.

He sighed as the people waiting to drop off his gifts lined up in front of the gift table. He spotted Vincent and Darryl talking at a table that was piled with food. He looked observed Darryl who looked oddly familiar.

Something drew him in, and made him wonder who Darryl was. Maybe it was his eyes. Zak never saw anyone with such green eyes. But his smile seemed so familiar too. Zak thought he must've been from school, since he looked about the same age as him.

The Queen spoke up, "Thank you all for coming to the prince's 18th birthday," she spoke, "Please drop off your gifts and go to the sign up table and write down your class and name. Enjoy."

She exited the stage and sat with her husband and son, "Zak, go greet the guests. You've been sitting here all day," She told her son.

Zak groaned as he hoisted himself off of the chair he was sitting on. He walked over to the table of food where the higher class people ate. Slow jazz music started playing as Zak approached the table.

A few people were dancing, a few were eating, and a few were just watching. Zak saw his father and mother talking to a few rich snobs, so he decided to start eating.

He grabbed a plate and cut some gourmet steak, which he placed on his plate. He added a side of scallion noodles.

He tried eating peacefully, but a bunch of people kept coming up to him wishing him a happy birthday. Of course he thanked them, but he just wanted some alone time. A lot of girls asked him to dance. He turned them down politely. It was his birthday, but he wanted some time alone.

Darryl wasn't having the funnest time. He was lower class so he barely got any privileges. He and Vincent talked throughout the whole party. Vincent did sneak some food to Darryl, it wasn't a big deal, but to them it felt like a crime.

He wanted to greet the prince, but Zak looked busy as a lot of people came up to him.

Darryl wasn't sure if Zak would remember him or not. He hoped he would since Zak was one of Darryl's only friends. The only friends Darryl had ever had were Vincent and Zak.

Darryl didn't want to be friends with Zak for the fame, but he just remembered all the fun times he and Zak had and he wanted to have that again.

Vincent was Darryl's best friend, no doubt about it, but sometimes it felt lonely. The two boys were running out of things to do.

Vincent headed the the bathroom, leaving Darryl alone. He saw that Zak was also alone, so it was now or never.

"Zak!" Darryl called as he walked up to Zak. The prince was eating when he turned his head to look at the peasant boy. Darryl bowed his head awkwardly, "I'm sorry, I mean your highness."

Zak giggled a little, "Zak is fine."

Darryl nodded slightly. "I-I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday, but I also wanted to ask you something." Darryl stuttered.

Zak titled his head in curiosity, "Hm? What is it?"

"This might sound weird, but do you remember me? My name was Darryl, Darryl Noveschosch, I was your friend at the orphanage."

"Darryl.." Zak said slowly. It sounded awfully familiar to Zak.

Darryl's eyes lit up, "Do you?" He asked again. Zak saying his name made him feel like he did.

"Barely. But I think I do."

Darryl smiled lightly at the prince. Zak couldn't help but smile too.

"Zak!" A third person yelled. It was the Queen, "What are you doing! Do not talk to that boy, he is below your class!"

She pulled Zak away. Zak turned back to look at Darryl, "Sorry," the richer boy mouthed.

"It's ok," Darryl mouthed back.

Vincent took Darryl's side as he watched the Queen and prince walk away. "What happened?" Vincent asked

"He remembers."

——————————————————————————
Thank you for reading part 2 :)

Feel free to give suggestions and vote if you enjoyed!
——————————————————————————

Words: 1999