First Night

Athena took her time walking towards Sirius's living quarters. She wasn't quite ready to speak about her sudden change of attitude and she could only assume that Sirius was going to push her to speak. Finally, she stood in front of the door. Taking a deep breath, she raised a fist and knocked loudly. Sirius wrenched open the door, looking almost concerned and wearing a robe over his pajamas.
"Why the bloody hell are you knocking? This is your place as well, isn't it?" She glanced down at the ground, waiting for him to move. "Well, come on then." Athena began the process of getting ready for bed, grabbing her pajamas and heading into the bathroom to change, wash her face, and brush her teeth.

"Where did you and Pomona head off to," Sirius questioned, trying to break the incredibly awkward silence between them.

"Just to talk. She wanted to check in and make sure I was doing alright. She used to be my Head of House, you know."

"Ah yes, the Hufflepuff." She nodded awkwardly.

"She always brings the best brandy in too, perfect for a little nightcap." Sirius made a face that almost looked like approval.

"Are you okay, Athena? And don't be afraid to be honest." He glanced at her, noting that her hair was almost shimmering. "Does you hair always do that?" Her face twisted in confusion before she glanced down and noticed what was happening.

"My emotions are so all over the place that I'm having a hard time controlling it. It's trying to decide what to be currently." Her hair finally settled on the orange that it used to be. "I'm not sure how to feel. I can't say that I wanted to get married, let alone to someone that I've only fought by their side in a war that mostly pitted me against my entire family and had me the most confused I've ever been in my life! I'm not cut out for this, Sirius! I'm barely able to care for myself, there are days where I can't even look in a mirror. And the government wants me to raise a child," Athena ranted, her voice rising and falling in emotion as she spoke, hands buried in her hair as she stressed. Sirius reached forward and pulled her hands away from her head, and then held them in his own, forcing her attention on to him.

"You think I'm much better? My entire family supported the cause, so I ran away to my best mate's house when I was fifteen. Fifteen! My brother was killed in an attempt to rebel against a cause that he'd once believed in. My best friend and his wife were murdered when our other best friend gave them up to the one person who wished them dead. Then, I went to Azkaban for twelve fucking years, accused of murdering a man that I once considered my BROTHER. I almost died twice more in battle for the cause. The chances of me still standing here to marry you were so slim that I'm amazed that they even happened. We can't pity ourselves for what we've been through, we can only soldier on and prove that we're better than what we've left behind." Athena stared at him blankly, shocked at his honesty.

"What if the past refuses to leave you?"

"Then we figure out how to make it through." He leaned in and placed his forehead against hers, trying to comfort her in a gentle manner. She was the first one, however, to pull him in for a large hug.

"Anything else you want to talk about, lo-" Sirius was interrupted by the sound of talons on the window.

"Bloody hell! Who would be writing this late," Athena questioned as she opened the window. As the owl fluttered into the room, she noted the envelope it was holding was an astonishing blood red. "Oh fuck, a howler?" She grimaced at Sirius and then pulled the seal, allowing the howler to release its unpleasantries.

"ATHENA ROSE BAILEY. I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED. YOU HAVE DISGRACED OUR FAMILY NAME FOR THE LAST TIME. ONCE AGAIN, YOU'VE MADE THE WRONG CHOICE AND WE ARE MOST DISTURBED BY YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF YOUR FATE. THAT MAN HAS NO RIGHT TO CALL HIMSELF A PUREBLOOD, LET ALONE A BLACK. WE WILL NOT BE ASSOCIATED WITH BLOOD TRAITORS AND MURDERERS-"

"Notice how blood traitor came first there," Athena interrupted.

"THIS WILL BE OUR LAST CORRESPONDENCE AS WE NO LONGER CONSIDER YOU OUR DAUGHTER. WE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO DESTROY OUR GOOD NAME ANY FURTHER."

The howler spat its 'tongue' at her and then tore itself to pieces.

"Well then, guess we can cross at least two names from the guest list," Sirius muttered sarcastically. Athena rolled her eyes before picking up the pieces of the howler and tossing them in the trash.

"As if they have a good name any longer. The entire wizarding population knows exactly what side they were on even if it can't be proven." She rolled here eyes once again.

"Are you ok-" Athena interrupted him with a hand over his mouth.

"If you ask me 'are you okay' one more time, I might explode. That howler? Was a long time coming and I am not surprised in the slightest, nor am I concerned. Having them remain in my life was only causing more problems than anything. Now, where am I sleeping?" Sirius chuckled before patting the bed.

"I figured we're both adults, we can sleep in the same bed."

"Well then, fair warning, I'm a bit of a cuddler in my sleep." Sirius smirked.

"I'd expect nothing less 'Puff."