Cold Feet

"I don't think I want to get married." Athena's jaw dropped in astonishment.

"Coralin! You know the consequences?"

"Professor Black, I'm only seventeen. I just don't think I can handle getting married and having a baby. I had other plans."

"Did those plans include Azkaban? Because that's what they will include if you back out. Besides, you still have the entire school year plus a few months to get pregnant. Getting married is the easy part! Can you just not see yourself with Neville?"

"No, it has nothing to do with him. He's been the picture of a gentleman since we started living together, I swear." The pretty Hufflepuff had tears welling in her eyes trying to explain herself.

"Coralin, the consequences of trying to avoid this law are vast. I just want you to really think this through. If you need help avoiding pregnancy until after Hogwarts then I can help you. If that changes your decision in any way."

"Are you trying to avoid pregnancy? Is that why your offering?" Athena bit her lip, her entire face reddening.

"No, no I'm not trying to avoid pregnancy. I'm also ten years older than you"— she grabbed hold of Coralin's hands—"and in a much better position in life to actually have a baby. You know, I've actually graduated school." Coralin let out a watery chuckle. "Besides, I don't see Neville as the type to force you to do anything. He's scared as well."

"He is?"

"The Neville Longbottom that you know isn't the same Neville Longbottom that I met years ago. He's a lot more confident on the outside, but I'm sure he's just as nervous on the inside. He-" Athena was interrupted by her office door swinging open.

"Athena, you'd never guess what's happened- oh. I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?" Sirius pointed between the two women, one very clearly crying, in a confused manner.

"Erm, no. I'll just be going then. Thank you for the advice, Professor Black. I'll let you know what I decide." Athena nodded curtly as Coralin darted from the room before leaning back and rubbing her face in exasperation.

"What was the about," Sirius questioned, curiosity burning in his eyes.

"Poor Coralin is scared."

"Well that much was obvious, but of what?" Athena stared at him, a little dumbfounded.

"This is scary stuff for a seventeen year old! The prospect of not only getting married, but having to have a baby? She's but a baby herself." Sirius nodded.

"I suppose I didn't think about that. It's still nerve wracking for us, but we're older, having a baby at this age is normal."

"Exactly. I'm twenty-seven years old and I'm nervous for Merlin's sake! I can't imagine having to have a baby at seventeen." Athena dropped her head into her hands as tears pricked at the corners of her eyes. "I offered to help her. Brew her a potion for the first night, at least, to make sure she doesn't get pregnant."

"You gave her an out," Sirius spoke through a small smile.

"I gave her an option. I know Neville well enough to know that he won't force anything so she'll be safe until she's ready." Sirius approached her, placing a careful hand on one of her own hands.

"She'll be alright, love. You can't worry about everyone all at once."

"I can certainly try." Athena wiped a lone tear from her face before turning to her husband. "What was it you had to tell me? When you came in?"

"Oh! Right, erm, Ron and Hermione eloped. Got the owl right before classes started, but I couldn't make it down here in time, sorry love."

"The curse of my office being in the dungeons, I suppose. Well, that's the lot of them isn't it? Just waiting on Neville and Coralin?" Sirius nodded.