Seven Hedgehogs for Seven Emeralds

A little longer than usual and will mostly be full of fluff so emotions can settle before the plot gets heavy again. For those who are only interested in the action side of things, you'll be pleased to know that it will be kicking off in the very next chapter so thank you for your patience.

* * * * * * *

Amy's house, 'Hedge End', was soon packed with eagerly awaiting Aunts and Uncles.

They'd celebrated the arrival of Rosemary and were beyond excited when Ruby was born, showering Knuckles and Rouge with gifts. Steele had been born in another dimension and they'd had to wait until the kitten was at least a year old before Blaze had risked the dimension jump to introduce him to the others.

But this was Sonic and Amy.

Sonic and Amy who'd had the most hilarious and downright annoying relationship ride since they were children. Sonic and Amy who, at times, made everyone believe that there would never come a day when they got together. Sonic who ran and Amy who chased. Sonic and Amy who, one day, both grew up and realised that, actually, it could work. It could work if they were ready to accept that they would never have the same kind of relationship everyone else had.

Sonic and Amy who went on and did just that and who had now expanded their family.

When Sonic appeared in the front room (and was subsequently buried under Tails and Knuckles), he looked bright-eyed and slightly dishevelled but there was a goofy smile on his face as he recieved pats on the shoulder and many congratulations as his friends gathered round to ask how Amy was.

"Amy was amazing," he said once he had a chance. "A natural. I reckon she knew exactly what she was doing. Or she acted like it, anyway."

"Did the midwife get here in time?" asked Rouge.

"Midwife nearly missed the first but, yeah." Sonic glanced up the stairs with a misty expression on his face. "Although at first Amy looked as though she didn't even need one."

Cream took a hold of Sonic's arm and gave it a squeeze. "Is she okay?"

"She's absolutely fine," smiled Sonic, giving her a hug. "But so we don't over-do it, how about just a few visitors at a time, yeah? Don't want to stress the kids out."

"How many do you have?" Cream asked eagerly, now hopping slightly.

Sonic looked up at all the expectant faces. Shadow was at the back, his face unreadable, but everyone else was eager to hear.

"...A litter of three."

Everyone started babbling and sighing and congratulating Sonic even more until he started to look a little embarrassed  with the whole thing.

"Well, let's get on with it," Rouge said and then gave her husband a shove. "Tails, Knuckles? I'm sure Sonic wants you boys to be first."

"Hang on," Tails hurriedly laughed, "that's not entirely fair to Amy now..."

"No, it's Amy's request too," Sonic told them with a nod.

"Really?" Knuckles said in surprise as he exchanged looks with Tails. He'd imagined it would be Cream and Tails to go up first before him.

"Come on," Sonic laughed. "She'll chew me out for stalling."

* * * * * * *

Some of them crowded at the bottom of the staircase and strained their ears to hear what was going on from Amy's room.

"There you are," they heard Amy greet. Her voice sounded soft and gentle. "Was wondering if you were throwing a party without me."