Secrets and Schemes

In actual fact, Sonic was having a tough time. 

Ever since Metal has left him in the mainland for no obvious reason, Sonic had been wrought with paranoia. One of the first people he had seen since awakening by the shore was the Commander of the G.U.N. and Sonic didn't trust the man to not try and follow him home to Amy's house where the existence of his hoglets would be quickly discovered. Not to mention the idea that Metal could still be in the vicinity and might follow him also. 

Thus began Sonic's attempt to throw off any would-be stalkers that could find his precious brood and over the next day or two, Sonic had circumvented the planet some 5000 times, sprinting up every mountain peak and diving down into the deepest underground caves, skimming lakes and oceans and threading each and every canyon and valley. 

At long last, Sonic felt comfortable enough that he could perhaps chance running to Tails' or Shadow's places without fear of danger following him but the desire to check up on his family was too great of a pull and so he turned his nose to the wind and followed his feet all the way to his wife's home. 

Never Lake looked just as beautiful as when he last saw it and the skies were clear with absolutely no indication that Little Planet was due an appearance any time soon. Never Lake Village was a little way from the lake itself, built from a community that harvested and utilised the residual energy that Little Planet left behind to power their homes and facilities and fished on the lake waters. Overlooking both lake and village, up on the hill with a perfect view of the landscape, was 'Hedge End', a cottage with heart-shaped window shutters and it's signature low hedge growing in a large circle around the cottage where pink roses were out in full bloom.

The perfume of the roses were too far away for Amy to smell but the honeysuckle flowers that grew around the kitchen windowsill, which were withstanding the warmth of summer, still gave off their fragrance which pleased the young hedgehog woman inside, busy in drying a few plates and cups.

Hearing the front door slam, Amy Rose turned just in time to see her husband skid to a halt on the kitchen floor, his eyes wide and eagerly looking for her. Though she hadn't heard him, he had already searched the front room and her office. 

"There you are," she grinned, putting down the dish she'd been holding. "Where have you been these past few days? Oh Sonic you'll never believe it-"

"Are you all okay?"

Amy stopped with a frown. 

"Of... of course we are. But Sonic, listen to this. Guess who-"

"You've not been threatened in any way? And the kids are all right?"

Amy dried her paws and put down the cloth. Sonic hardly ever interrupted her like that these days. Not unless things were serious. 

"...What's happened?" she asked in a flat voice.

Spotting the basket in the corner of the kitchen, Sonic slowly approached to look in. His three children were pushing their blankets around and Saffy had disappeared underneath hers completely.

"...Metal..." he admitted, "...he took me to Eggman."

"What!?" Amy pushed away from the sink and rushed over, already pulling Sonic around to face her, inspecting his neck, his torso, his arms and legs, all over for injuries. She felt his ribs, checked his pupils, ran her hands through his spines to see if any had detached...

"Babe, I'm fine," Sonic reassured her, taking her hands away and holding them to give them a little kiss. "Slightly tired, for some weird reason, but I'm fine."

"What did he want you for?"

"That's the weirdest bit," Sonic said with a shrug. "I don't really know. All I could catch before I passed out was something about scanning coordinates or something."