Seeking & Finding

The old factory had been rebuilt a dozen times but it was still in shambles no matter how functional it was. When Metal Knuckles clipped the remains of a saw-weilding badnik carcass, he gave a growl of annoyance.

Metallic Madness Zone was one of Metal Sonic's favourite places but when it looked like this, it wasn't exactly an award-winning location and most of it had been built from the oringal remains which had been transported from Little Planet to it's new location on Mobius. It had got to the point where Eggman (Robotnik at the time) had simply given up on repairing all the damage and repainting every scratch when he knew that the likes of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or even Amy Rose would be along to wreck the place.

Sparking wires hung from the ceiling and the sharp edges of blades and saws were strewn along walkways and protruding from walls. A few badniks which were still barely online and hadn't had the power to move for years could only watch as Metal Knuckles, following the Tails Doll, passed by them without so much as backwards glance. Cages which were broken and bent out of shape were stuffed to the side and the old lasers and weapons were rusted and clogged with dust. The original zone on Little Planet must have looked a lot more impressive in comparisson to the rebuilt zone on Mobius.

"How can such simple-minded organics cause such a mess?" Metal Knuckles asked, mostly to himself.

"Inconsiderate-ate," Tails Doll answered and then began to giggle maniacly. "Eye for an eye for an eye for an eye!" he sang, hovering over the ground with his head flopped to one side. He may have had robot circuitry inside him but his plush-like outer form was soft and didn't have the strength to support the processor in his head.

"In time, my friend, yes," Metal Knuckles told him in a dark tone. "You and I will pay back our Inferiors when we are ready."

"But not just for R-R-Robotniiiik/."

"No. Metal Sonic broke us from our code. We are free to proceed as we want."

Tails Doll flicked his antennae side to side as he floated along, sometimes stretching out his arm horizontally to slide it along the surface of the wall nearest him. As he was doing this, he twisted his neck 180 degrees to look back at Metal Knuckles.

"You feel... anger?" he asked. The Tails Doll was a support unit with the ability to recharge and take care of his larger, stronger metal brothers. He also had the capability to sense what sort of mental condition thye were in.

"For the Eggman? No," Metal Knuckles replied. "For my Inferior? ... Yes."

"Wasn't fair..." Tails Doll whispered, turning his head back with a sickening cl-ACK. "They get free life. What do we have...? So/ ///s-selfish."

"Organics always are," said Metal Knuckles. "But fret not, we will be avenged."

Tails Doll lead Metal Knuckles through the factory, climbing and sliding down through the maze of pathways. "W-W-Weeee/ must wait for Metal Sonic-ic to complete his investi-ti-gation."

"I am sure he will not be long about it." Metal Knuckles' green optics shimmered in a brief burst of excitement. "He was created to keep pace with his Inferior. Hedgehogs are not known for slow feet. Speaking of, Tails Doll, if you would...?"

The red antennae began to glow a little brighter and Tails Doll surged forward. "Finding. Finding. Finding."

In one of the larger chambers sat a huge pile of twisted metal debris, the victim of a brutal assault from a hedgehog, a fox and an echidna. It's form was scarred and blackened from where its systems had burnt and exploded, leaving behind a dead husk... and several capsules all around.