Reunions All Round

It was while Amy was finishing Sonar's feed that a polite knock came from the front door and she was fully expecting to find one of the Allies on her doorstep claiming to 'just be strolling by' when in actual fact they just wanted to snatch a few minutes with the hoglets again.

Nestling her 2 day old son into the crook of her neck, Amy walked to the door and pulled it open.

There stood all three Chaotix members.

"Hi you guys!" Amy greeted with a friendly smile, already holding the door out for them. "I wasn't expecting you. Here to see Sonic or the kids? Sonic's not here at the moment but if you wait around maybe...?"

Vector bowed his head. "Er... Well, sure, okay, we'll wait. Probably best he hears it as well."

"As well?" Amy said in mild surprise, beginning to carefully pat Sonar's soft spines. "Were you coming to talk to me?"

"Any of you really," Charmy nodded and he hopped inside the door after Vector and Espio. "See, Vector and I were fishing some miles out from the Emerald Coast, for marlin, you know, as a surprise for Espio after he was away so long. You know, visiting them jungle people..."

"I'm sure Amy doesn't need to know about that," Espio quietly interrupted.

Charmy cleared his throat. "...and Vector here finds a sunk warship."

"Real big warship," Vector nodded. None of them had gone into the other room to sit down.

"Yeah, real big. Called the..." Charmy furrowed his forehead and stuck out his lip. "Ah, what was it called again?"

"Egg... Ooh, hang on... The Egg, uh, somethin'. Of course, it's gonna be 'egg' somethin' 'cause it's Eggman's flippin' warship..."

"Egg Carrier?"

"That's the one!" Vector clicked his fingers at Charmy, "The Egg Carrier. Big ol' warship."

Amy immediately stopped patting the hoglet and poor Sonar snuffled crossly into his mother's fur. He had been enjoying that and had almost burped.

"The Egg Carrier?" Amy repeated, eyes flicking between the crocodile and the bee. Espio had stuck his head through the door to watch Ambrose and Saffron scootch about on the blanket in the living room.

"The very one," said Vector. "Ring a bell?"

"...The first Egg Carrier?"

"Don't remember there bein' any numbers on it."

Amy moved Sonar to her other shoulder. "You just found Eggman's 'Egg Carrier'? Just... just lying there on the ocean floor?"

Charmy nodded and nudged Vector with his elbow. "Just like that old ship in that sappy film that you went to watch over at Cream's house with Vanilla. That one with the iceberg?"

"'Cept this was mostly whole," Vector grunted, colouring slightly in embarrassment.

Amy closed her mouth and straightened her back as she turned, resuming Sonar's back-patting as she walked past Espio and into the living room. With Sonar finally winded, he was reunited with his littermates on the blanket where he was greeted with happy squeaks.

"The Egg Carrier was used by Dr Eggman during the incident with Perfect Chaos in Station Square," Amy began to explain, aware that the Chaotix must probably know this. "He had a base of operations in the Mystic Jungle but he mostly resorted to just flying around on his Egg Carrier. It's a massive complex which could change form at the push of a button."

"You were there?" Espio asked.

Amy rubbed her arm. "I... Yes. I got caught up in the action somewhere down the line. Quite literally. I was a prisoner on that warship for a bit."