His World

After a full day of visits and presents and shared cuddles and playtime, the Hedgehog household was very worn-out.

Sonar opened his mouth and let out a squeak as he yawned before he buried his face into his paws and curled into a ball, joining his brother and sister in sleep. Amy had carefully made sure that each one was settled and comfortable before slowly sliding the basket of hoglets underneath the bed where the bright early sun wouldn't disturb them in the morning.

Wrapping her silk nightrobe around herself, Amy loosened her quills and brushed them as she got into bed. Sonic was lying on the other side on top of the covers, looking up at the ceiling while his wife picked up her book to finish the chapter she was reading. He appeared to be deep in thought and just as Amy was preparing to put her bookmark in to settle down to sleep, he turned his head.

"Remember when Ruby was born?"

"Mm-hmm," Amy nodded as she rubbed her eyes and put her book down on the bedside table.

"She arrived at, what time was it?"

"2:15 in the afternoon."

"Yeah."

Amy yawned and plumped her pillow. "Knuckles called just after lunch when Rouge went into labour."

"Still don't know why he called us," Sonic murmured.

"Because he was suffering and he wanted you to suffer with him," Amy replied. "Tails was the one to bring the midwife in his plane. It did mean we were the first to meet Ruby."

"She was so much larger than our kids."

"Well we had three of them. Babies tend to be smaller when there's more of them in there."

"But they're still heavy. Like 2 pounds each?"

"Sonar's the biggest. 2 pounds and 1 ounce. Saff and Ambrose were under 2 pounds."

"How heavy was Ruby?"

"4 pounds something."

"Poor Rouge. That'll be all that Echidna muscle."

"Echidna muscle didn't do Knuckles any good when Rouge got a hold of him." Amy chuckled and wriggled down under the covers, her eyelids growing heavy.

"She did great," Sonic nodded and then leant over to stroke his wife's shoulder. "And so did you."

"You're sweet."

"I swear I'd never seen Knuckles panic so much."

"You should of seen yourself when my contractions started."

"Great time for them to be born." Sonic rolled his eyes. "Just getting ready to go out for the evening."

"At least they were quick," Amy sighed, really wishing to go to sleep.

For a moment, Sonic didn't say anything and Amy was almost hoping that she might be allowed to drift off again. Sonic's sleep patterns were abnormal and he sometimes forgot that while he could occasionally give in to a hedgehog's naturally nocturnal lifestyle, Amy was content on accepting the lifestyle that Mobian hedgehogs had adapted to which was to sleep at night and come out in the day when most of the planet was active.

"...Did the doctor ask if litters ran in your family?"

Amy had to keep from groaning. Clearly, Sonic hadn't got the memo that she was a first time mother and first time mothers needed to sleep.

"I think I was asked that, yeah," she replied after letting out another huge and quite obvious yawn. "I said I don't ever remember anyone in my family have more than two and even that was few and far between. The last pair of twins born in my family were my Uncles." Then she opened her eyes as something began to dawn on her. "...Were you asked?"