200 Years Into The Future

It was a small apartment, not exactly decorated in any lavish detail seeing as the walls were plain grey and the ceiling was sound-proofed and the carpet was thin. In fact there wasn't much to it at all; an old sofa with a patchwork throw, a beanbag which looked as though it had been thoroughly punctured by a spiky back and was clumsily repaired with patch pieces, a coffee table in the middle, a side table by the sofa with a tilted lampshade, a few minimilistic pieces of artwork on the wall... Silver didn't seem to put in much thought when it came to sprucing up his living quarters. The only thing that seemed to stick out and jar against the simplicity of everything was the enormous wall-mounted television screen that seemed to take up the entire wall and the unusual aparatus which Metal Sonic concluded was the machine equipment that Silver had spoken of.

Metal Sonic looked around the area. The curtains were drawn and the entire place was dark and, from the looks of things, in need of a vacuum cleaner. Through one door was the kitchen which consisted of an island counter with just one barstool, an oddly designed refrigerator (perhaps it was the common design of the future) that made a continuous low humming noise, a futuristic looking microwave (also oddly designed), a coffee machine and the remains of a pizza box. In the sink were three unwashed mugs and a plate. The bedroom was simply a little box room holding an unmade bed and a chest of drawers with a mirror.

It wasn't what you'd expect the home of a time-travelling, pyschokintetic hedgehog hero to look like.

Another thing that seemed to stand out (in Metal's opinion) was the lack of photographs around. There were no little selfie pictures framed on the side table or anything to suggest Silver had any friends at all. In fact there was only one photo which was hanging in front of the machine and that was a photo of an older female hedgehog formally posing with an extremely young Silver the Hedgehog who looked only a few months old. The female appeared to be a brown-orange colour and bore no resemblence to Silver at all. She had a very strained smile on her face and her eyes were tired.

Wonder what the story behind that was...

But there wasn't time to admire the decor. Metal Sonic soon turned his attention to searching the place for anything that might give him a clue as to where he could find the information he wanted. It was clear to him now that Silver probably kept things minimilistic and hid all his personal things just in case anyone came over. Time Travel clearly wasn't a common thing in the future and Silver was making sure to hide all evidence that he galavanted down the time stream every other night to see his inter-dimensional Fire Queen wife or to see his closest friends that were probably regarded as historical characters in this day and age.

Searching the kitchen was pointless but the bedroom seemed a likely place for Silver to hide things so that was where Metal started, ransaking his drawers and feeling around for any hidden compartments. His search proved fruitful when he discovered an old shoe box stashed under a floor panel beneath the bed and pushed right to the back of the wall.

Opening the box, Metal Sonic stared down at the hundreds of photographs, big and small, of all Silver's friends back in the past. There were photos of Sonic, of Tails and Knuckles, of Amy and Cream, of Shadow, Rouge and Omega, of Vector, Espio, Charmy, of Shade and of Big and of Marine... and especially of Blaze. Nearly half the box were just pictures of Blaze, candid as well as posed. Some of the more recent ones included a glossy photo of Silver and Blaze on their wedding day back in the Sol Dimension and then another they had taken for their second wedding reception which they apparently had put on specially for the friends that hadn't been able to travel through the dimensions the first time. Then there were photos of them on their honeymoon and...

Metal Sonic clutched the photograph carefully between his claws.

...a kitten. A newborn silver coloured kitten with a purple tipped tail. The messy writing that had been scribbled in pencil on the back read: Steele. Miracle child. Premature at Aug 1st 2018. We don't know if we'll ever be able to have another...