An Early Premonition

Premonition - A strong feeling that something is about to happen, especially something unpleasant.

- - - - - - -

"Hold my hand," Silver warned, making a snatch for the toddler's waving arms. "I said hold..." Losing patience, Silver held out his other hand and caught the boy in a shimmer of blue psychokintetic energy. "There. Happy now?"

His 2 year old son, a strong-willed silver furred kitten, hung in mid-air with a look that suggested he was both enjoying being the air and feeling frustrated that he couldn't move. Wagging his purple-tipped tail, he began to wiggle about.

"Ah, ah, ah, no," Silver scolded, safely manouvering the child over the road and putting him safely down on the other side. "We're by a busy street so you're going to have to do as you're told and stay with me until we get to the park." He took the kitten's paw in his own again and felt the youngster pull. "Stop squirming. All right, all right, we're here now."

With a mew of delight, Steele scampered forward into the park and made a jump for the sandbox.

"So glad that kid is still in diapers," Silver had thought to himself, not for the first time. He certainly didn't want to get an angry phone call from some park warden to complain that his son had been using the community sandbox as a litterbox instead. He'd grow out of it, Blaze had assured him.

In all honesty, Silver was amazed he even HAD a son. He and Blaze had narrowly avoided a royal scandal in the Sol Dimension when Blaze had discovered herself pregnant before she and Silver were due to wed but, sadly for the new parents, she had miscarried their first offspring.

Since the wedding, there were grave misgivings about the future of the Sol Throne for the doctors believed that the combination of Silver's psychokinesis and Blaze's pyrokinesis prevented a healthy embryo from growing. It was, therefore, a happy surprise when Blaze had given birth some time later to a healthy handsome prince with long silver fur.

Fur that would have to be washed clean of sand at this rate.

"Being a single parent is hard, huh?" a deeper voice commented and Silver jumped.

"Oh, Shadow... " Silver smiled awkwardly. "Ha, you come here often?"

Shadow looked around at the crowd of chattering parents and their small squealing broods. "Don't be an idiot. I know that's hard for you but please don't."

"Oh dear. Did you only have three glasses of whiskey for breakfast this morning?"

"Well, you wouldn't know, Mr I'm-Anyone's-After-A-Cup-Of-Soda."

Silver gave a laugh and sat down on a bench to keep an eye on Steele. "I know you probably don't come down to the kid's park just to soak up the atmosphere so what's the matter? I mean, given that you know I come here with Steele..."

"Yes, you should congratulate yourself; not everyone can say that I've taken the time to personally seek them out." Shadow flinched as a smiling rabbit apologetically dashed by him to retrieve her child from the top of the climbing frame.

"If I painted myself blue," Silver grinned, "I'm sure I'd be seeing you a lot more often."

"Oh Silver..." Shadow gripped his hands, reminding himself that there were children around. "You're just... SO funny."

"That's your laughing face is it?"

"Silver..."

"Okay, okay." Silver held up his hands and departed from the 'banter'. "What did you need me for? Is it, perchance, anything to do with certain new-born arrivals which are due any day now?"