Chapter 19

Draco took my hand as he led me through the large black gates to the Manor. It loomed dangerously over us, growing taller and taller with every step we took. A shiver passed through my body but I shook it off, blaming it on the nerves.

Nerves of being here. In front of the Malfoy Manor.

"Ah, miss Smith! About time I finally met you," Narcissa Malfoy smiled, seemingly appearing out of thin air, "I've heard so much about you!"

"Mother." Draco snapped, blush creeping up his neck.

Narcissa took my hand, cupping it delicately between both of hers, ignoring Draco's protest. I gave her a polite smile, unsure what to do. Perhaps I could return her words.

"Mrs. Malfoy! Same to you! Your son cannot keep his mouth shut about you!"

But that's where the lies would start. Draco refused to spew a word about his family, especially his mother. As if he was scared that the second I learned about her, I would become another person he would have to defend her against.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Malfoy." I greet as she squeezed my hand lightly.

"The pleasure is all mine. And please, call me Narcissa, dear." She replied, releasing my hand.

I turned to check what the others were doing, probably ignoring us as they argued about some childish topic. Maybe they were gaping up at the Manor, just as I had been moments ago.

Except, they weren't. In fact, they were nowhere in sight. As if they'd completely vanished the moment Narcissa had floated into view.

I turned my gaze up to Draco who was smiling, eerily, down at me, his teeth bared and his nails digging angrily into my skin.

No. This wasn't right. It couldn't be.

Where were the others?

When had we gotten off the train?

I tried to turn back my memory, biting the inside of my cheek and ignoring the metallic taste on my tongue as I drew a blank. Spots in my memory leading up to now.

I could feel panic boiling in the pit of my stomach, clawing it's way up my throat as Draco sunk his nails deeper into my skin, his grip growing tighter.

"Draco? What are you-"

Suddenly Narcissa lunged at me, her arms thrown around my waist, restricting my movement.

"Stop! Why are you-"

Draco's hand flew over my mouth, his mother's arms falling from around me only to be replaced with his own.

My head was spinning with confusion. Possibilities. Reasons why I was being ambushed.

But something wasn't right. Something was off. I could feel it. Practically buzzing in the air. The nagging question that continued to pull at my mind: where was everyone else?

"Syd?" A muffled voice asked.

I swung my head from side to side, as far as I could while Draco still had his arms tight around me, restricting all movement.