Chapter 20

I hardly managed to stay on my feet as we apparated to the Manor. And just as I expected, it loomed over us, spreading from one side of the courtyard to the other.

It was a grand building. One that I could spend hours in, running my hand along the detailed trimming as I wandered the halls. But there would be no wandering. At least, not while Draco and I shared a room.

The thought made me smirk.

My eyes snapped towards the end of the long path that stretched on and wound up to the front doors where Narcissa Malfoy had popped out of, descending towards us.

I stood awkwardly, unsure what to do with my hands as I leaned all my weight on one leg, then the other, before settling on even weight between the two.

"Miss Smith! What a pleasure it is to meet you! Draco's told me so much!" Narcissa sputtered, a wide smile spreading across her face from ear to ear.

Too close.

I flinch as she took my hand into both of her own, squeezing it lightly. I found myself wondering if she'd noticed the way my hand was sweating, shaking nervously, flinching away from her touch.

Too familiar.

I, once again, was stuck trying to think of an appropriate response. Some kind of polite acknowledgment. Anything to distract her from taking notice in the flaws I'd forgotten to tuck away for the evening.

"Mrs. Malfoy, thank you so much for having me! Well, us," I stopped, turning to gesture to the rest of the group, who, thankfully, were still standing awkwardly behind Draco and I," it's so nice to finally meet you!"

"You're always welcome here! It gets lonely in such an extravagant house. And please, call me Narcissa," she stopped to grin again and I wondered how she was able to smile so much,"no need for such formalities, we're all family here."

"That's enough, mother." Draco interjected, his neck turning pink along with his cheeks.

"Please, follow me inside, make yourselves at home. Mippy shall have dinner ready in a few hours." Narcissa stated, throwing a quick, chastising look at Draco before turning to lead us down the path.

"I'm sorry about my mother. She doesn't get much company, now that I'm back at Hogwarts and fathers away for work." Draco whispered in my ear, taking my hand as we trail behind the rest of the group.

I dug around in my thoughts, hoping to come up with a response. For the third time. And coming up with none. Completely empty handed.

Maybe I needn't respond. Maybe a simple smile or squeeze of the hand was enough. Maybe I could just let go of his hand, loop my arm through his, intertwine out fingers again and wrap my hand around his bicep.

Physical contact seemed to be the only way I knew to respond without an actual response.

Maybe that was enough.

My eyes wandered around the room as I continued to sink deeper and deeper into my mind. Finding shelves. Something I hadn't utilized in years. Not since my father... I used to practice occlumency with him. For no specific reason, really.

My shelves were completely barren. Dust lining the wood. I used to think shutting my emotions offbenefitted me. Helped me close off unwanted thoughts, make room for more knowledge. More space to learn if I could shove away the unimportant things. Close them into books with water stains and dog-eared pages.