Chapter 9

Terence and I shared strained glances across the classroom all week which left my eyes sore. No matter how much I longed to talk to him, I couldn't. It was best for me to distance myself to keep him from being hurt.

I ate dinner before everyone else showed up all week and avoided the common room as much as possible, afraid that I would bump into him.

And then I made the stupid fucking mistake of showing up to dinner with Draco. We walked through the giant oak doors that led to the great hall and plopped down on the far end of the Slytherin table, away from prying eyes.

"Hey, Syd! Where have you been?" Daphne asked, taking a seat across from me.

"Oh, uhm. I've been busy." I shrugged, hoping it was convincing enough.

I watched as Blaise and Pansy walked in, arguing over something that was probably less than important before stopping dead in their tracks, their eyes landing on me. I could feel myself squirming under their gaze.

"What are you doing here?" Pansy asked, a sassy tone quite evident in her voice.

"Fuck off, Parkinson." Blaise growled, turning to me and giving me a polite smile. "We've missed you, Syd."

I gave Blaise a small smile before it turned to complete horror as Terence casually strolled in. When he noticed me, a smile tugged at his lips and he sat down beside me. And then I was fucking squeezed between Terence and Draco as if anything could be more awkward and uncomfortable.

"Long time no see. Have you been avoiding me?" Terence questioned, leaning in and whispering into my ear.

"No, I've just been... caught up in my school work." I lied, nervously scooting closer to Draco and tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Oh."

My attention was torn away from Terence as Pansy began to squeal like a fucking pig. I watched as she threw herself all over Draco, her arms going around his neck as she sat in his lap.

"Draky, where have you been? I haven't seen you in forever." She whined, jutting her lip out.

"Get the fuck off me, Parkinson. It's nobody's  business what I do, certainly not yours." He growled, prying her arms off of him and shoving her away.

Draco and I weren't together but we were certainly more than friends. Friends with benefits I guess you could call it. More like enemies with benefits. Draco and I were never friends. Not really. But even then, I still felt jealous as I watched Pansy grossly throw herself all over him as if prostituting herself off.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." I grumbled, hastily standing from the bench and making my way towards the doors.

I could feel everyone in our group watching me as I stumbled from the great hall, slamming open the bathroom doors. I could hear footsteps behind me but I ignored it, passing it off as some first year.

It wasn't a first year.

I turned around, becoming face to face with Draco who had a devilish grin on his lips, his hands shoved in his pockets.

"Bit creepy to follow a girl into the washroom, don't you think?" I asked sarcastically, turning back around to face the mirror as I gripped the porcelain sink.

"What's the matter? Can't handle when other girls give me attention?" He smirked, cocking an eyebrow at me.

"No. I can't handle hearing Pansy whine like a fucking child." I scoffed, turning on the faucet and cupping my hand under the water, splashing it into my face to cool myself down.