Chapter 4

I heard the door slowly creak open as someone tiptoed in, pulling their shoes off and dropping them by the door. I knew it was Terence by the way he thought he was stealthy, when in reality, he was as quiet as an elephant. I didn't bother opening my eyes, I couldn't actually.

Whatever it was that was making my head throb, was now causing my entire body to grow heavy, causing every muscle in my body to burn at even the slightest movement.

An arm snaked around my waist as I felt the bed beside me sink in. I scooted closer, shivering. I wasn't sure if it was actually cold, or if I had a fever. Considering the fact that it was September, I was assuming it was the latter.

I could feel sweat trickle down my temple and I had the sudden need to vomit. I shot up, leaning over the edge of the bed and began to vomit up what little I had eaten.

Terence grabbed my hair, holding it back in a ponytail as I continued to retch over the side of the bed. He rubbed circles on my back, trying his best to comfort me.

"Hey, you're ok. Breathe, I've got you." He cooed as I curled back up next to him.

"I'm not- I don't think-." Nothing I was saying was coherent. Just a jumble of confusing words and sounds.

I tried to keep my eyes open but I could feel them rolling into the back of my head, my vision growing black as my body convulsed. My throat seemed to be closing, constricting my breath.

"Syd? Syd, keep your eyes open! Hey! Look at me!" Terence began yelling in a panic, lifting my shoulders as I grew limp.

I tried responding, tried opening my mouth just to make some form of noise to let him know I wasn't dead yet, but my body refused to move. Every muscle felt like lead.

"Hey, no no no. Hey, you're ok! You're ok, just open your eyes!"

He continued to yell, begging me to stay awake. Keep my eyes open. But his voice began to fade as I slipped out of consciousness.

————————————————————————

"Higgs? What the hell happened?"  A voice slowly snaked into my unconscious mind.

My entire brain was buzzing. Like lights in a shady basement, loud and flickering ever so often. I could hear bits and pieces, but I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes or move. Not a single sound able to be forced from my lips.

Internal panic set in as I laid, paralyzed, in Terence's arms. Knowing what was happening but not enough to figure out why or where I was.

"Is she dead......Madam Pomfrey.....fuck."

I could hardly make out what was being said and who it was being said by. Only getting tidbits. I could, however, feel panic filling the room. Sense others around me.

Somebody gently placed their hand on my forehead.

"She's fucking burning up." They spat.

I recognized the voice, but it sounded blurred, if that made sense. As if there was a sheet between us, muffling their voice. And then I began to move. Not in the way I had been trying for the past 5 minutes. No, I was convulsing. My entire body violently shaking as I began to seize.

Voices around me became loud with concern as I felt hands trying to hold me down, somebody placing my head in their lap and trying their best to hold me still.

My consciousness slipped away again, plunging me into an unknown darkness.

————————————————————————