The Rain

It's Tuesday morning in Seattle and with Derek still in DC Meredith has gotten lonely, sad, and exhausted. She could always rely on Derek being there when she had a long day but he wasn't there anymore.

Meredith's day started off terribly with Bailey breaking the coffee machine. Meredith got into her car and sat there for a while wondering if she should keep driving to work or go back inside.

It was raining that day and the day started off terribly and Meredith had no motivation to go to work today.

Her phone began ringing and she saw it was Derek calling so she immediately grabbed her phone and answered it.

"Hey" Derek said

"Hey" Meredith replied in an exhausted tone

"What's wrong?" Derek asked

"Nothing, i'm just tired. Bailey broke the coffee machine so I haven't had my coffee yet."

"Oh, i'll fix it when I get back don't worry."

"And when will that be?"

"Soon I promise"

"Derek, you haven't called since Thursday and you only called to tell me you wouldn't be home for another four days. When is this going to stop?"

"We've made amazing progress Meredith and I can't just go back home without finishing what I started."

"I just miss you Derek."

"I miss you too Mer. I'm trying my best, I love you."

Meredith stayed silent full of anger wondering if she should just hang up and drive to work or say it back.

"Meredith."

"I love you too. I have to go."

"I'll be home soon."

Meredith hung up before Derek could finish and she felt bad about it. She thought about just staying home today and spending time with her kids so she reached for the car door handle but was stopped when her pager went off.

"Bailey: 3 GSW's in the pit"

"Crap" Meredith said as she threw her pager at the passenger seat. She put the keys in the ignition and then he asked for went to work. Her pager went off again and she pulled over to try and find it after she threw it.

As soon as she pulled over to the side of the highway she heard tires screeching on the highway and looked back to see what it was.

Someone lost control of their car due to the heavy rain and was swerving between lanes. Meredith sat there frozen asking herself if she should get out of the car before they hit her or if she should wait because maybe the car would just miss her.

In that moment the car got closer and closer and Merediths heart beat so fast she felt like it was going to jump out of her chest.

Then the car hit her, the side of the highway was empty and led straight down into a ditch. Meredith held onto anything she could grab as the car rolled down the hill.

The other car was bigger than Merediths and it hit the side of her car causing hers to roll down the ditch along with it.

Meredith tried holding onto the handle of the door but when the car rolled again she lost her grip and hit her head on the wheel.

Glass was flying everywhere and the car felt like it was rolling down for hours. Everything went black for Meredith and soon after the car stopped rolling.

The car landed on the drivers side. When both cars stopped rolling it was silent. All you could hear was the rain and glass falling. Other drivers went down to help Meredith, including the driver who hit her.