2

Sadie woke early the next morning. Vacation or not, she was always very scheduleized. She got migraines when her routine was thrown off, limiting her to sleep and a dark room. She would prefer to avoid that.

Leslie was sound asleep. Sadie hoped she truly had a good time last night. She didn't always want to be a stick in the mud, but that's just who she was. She would always worry, always want the best, and always go with the flow.

Sadie left the warm bed to pull on jeans and a sweater. She could go explore the shops just below the hotel while Leslie slept. Mostly, she just planned to take a book down to the coffee shop. She definitely had time for both. Leslie was a sleeper even without alcohol.

It may not seem like the most fun vacation for Sadie, but she was enjoying herself. Any break from routine, from work itself, and seeing her sister so happy was all she wanted. They still had plenty of time to hit those tourist sites everybody loves.

The coffee shop was quiet. A few people were scattered around, but the chatter was low. The only sounds was the whirling of the equipment behind the counter.

She ordered herself a seasonal flavered coffee, before finding a small booth in the corner out of the way.

She was content with her own company. She had one worker who helped her during the day with clients back at the ranch, but most of the time it was just her and her thoughts.

She felt the anxiety creep up her neck as she opened up her novel. She did hate sitting alone in public. What did people think of that? Were they staring? It was something that had always bothered her, but this time she tried to swallow it down and focus on the story.

A few minutes later, she heard a commotion at the door, but she did her best to not pay attention. She couldn't see from where she was sitting, and if she lost focus, she was certain she would have to leave the coffee shop from her overwhelming thoughts.

She struggled within herself for a moment, seeing the words on the page but not quite soaking them in. She wanted to know what was going on, but what if someone caught her staring?

A shadow cast over the book in front of her, and Sadie glanced up, only to nearly freak out. Standing over her was someone very famous, someone she had crushed on for a long time. Jett Blackwell. He had a coffee in one hand and a book in the other

"Hello, I'm Jett. I noticed it was quiet back here. Do you mind if I sit with you?"

She couldn't help the blush that swallowed her face, "I'm Sadie," she whispered with a tentative smile. "I don't mind."

He thanked her, sitting down across from her. He was so tall she was certain he wouldn't fit. He immediately went to his book, so Sadie pretended to go back to hers.

Her mind was whirling. There were empty seats, so why did he choose to sit here? She should get up and leave, but that would disrupt him and be rude.

Her nervousness multiplied as she felt the eyes of everybody in the shop watching them. She definitely needed to leave before she panicked.

She did her best to quiet her shaking breathing, but obviously she wasn't doing a good job because Jett glanced up and around.

"It totally sucks when people stare," he said loudly, his voice deep and powerful. Most people looked away and Sadie could feel herself calming a little. "What are you reading?" he asked her, closing his book.

She showed him the cover of the horror novel by her favorite author.

"What a coincidence," he smiled slightly, showing her a book with the same author.

"They're my favorite author," Sadie said. "I've read the one you have."

"But it only came out a few weeks ago?"

Sadie took in Jett's appearance. He was pale, a stark contrast to his fit black t-shirt and black jeans.

"I borrowed it from the library," she shrugged. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you sit here?"

"You do know who I am right?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Of course I do. Paranormal investigator," she gave him a real smile for the first time.

"If I sat alone, people would bother me. Did you not hear all of the people that rushed to the door when I came in? You were unfazed, so focused on your book. I noticed you right away."

Sadie cringed a bit. She hated being noticed, and it troubled her that she was drawing attention to herself when she was trying so hard not to, but at least it was someone really attractive.

Her phone vibrating on the table interrupted their conversation, Leslie flashing across the screen.

"Excuse me," Sadie said to Jett before answering the call.

"I'm awake bitch!" Leslie cheered loudly, Sadie was certain Jett heard. "Please tell me you didn't actually start exploring with out me."

"Of course not," Sadie chuckled a bit. Her sister was so energetic even when hungover. "I just went to get a coffee. I'll be back up in a minute. I'll bring you something."

"Make it extra caffeinated and extra sweet. Gosh, I think I might puke again."

"Alright, got it. See you soon."

Jett glanced up from his book that he was not paying attention to. "I take it you're leaving?"

"Yeah, sorry you have to sit alone," Sadie said stupidly.

"I was actually going to get another coffee and head out myself. Would you like to meet me here again tomorrow? I enjoyed your company."

Sadie did a double take. He wanted to see her again? A thread of excitement wound in her stomach.

"I would like that," she murmured, the blush consuming her once more.

"Great. I will see you tomorrow morning."