6

"I wish you didn't have to go," Jett whispered to Sadie from where they sat together on the couch.

"We can always video chat, and you can come visit me if you'd like," Sadie answered. She would love for him to come visit.

He stretched out his arm, wrapping it around her narrow shoulders. He was hesitant with the action, not wanting to make Sadie uncomfortable, but when she rested her head on his shoulder he took that as a good sign.

"Expect me to call you every night then," he said. He really didn't want her to leave. His mind was quiet when she was around, not brewing with the demons he seemed to always face.

"I will hold you to that," Sadie replied, looking up and meeting his beautiful dark eyes. She was beginning to learn he was beautiful inside and out, nothing like the arrogant front he put out for TV.

She knew she needed to go. Her flight was not super early, but she needed to pack and she had pretty much abandoned Leslie. Yet, sitting with Jett felt so right.

"I know I should take you back, but all I can think about is how much I want to kiss you," he said honestly, testing the waters. It was true, she looked so kissable sitting there all content with a smile threatening to wrinkle her nose.

Gosh, his thoughts were getting so gushy. He was supposed to be fearless, a leading researcher in a brand new territory. With Sadie, all he needed to be was Jett.

"Me?" Sadie responded slowly and Jett couldn't contain his laugh.

"Did you think I was talking to a ghost? You're adorable," he chuckled.

Sadie gave an embarrassed smile, "I might be bad at it. I've only kissed one person before."

She was so cute and young. She mentioned to him that she was 24, quite a long ways from his 31. Her personality was so unique to what he normally went out with. He felt he had to be much gentler, definitely reassuring and his protective instincts came to the forefront.

He bent his head, bumping her soft nose with his, and her lips curled into a smile at the gesture. Finally, his lips brushed hers and nothing had ever felt more right. This was where he was meant to be.

It felt as though he had been in the dark, like in an investigation where he could feel the bad around him, but suddenly the lights turned on and all the bad was gone. Sadie was his light.

He pulled away absolutely breathless, resting his head on hers. He was blissed out. 

Sadie's head was spinning from the kiss. She had no idea Jett could be so loving and gentle. They were opposite in so many ways, lived completely different lives, yet they had wound up here in this moment.

After years of watching his show, her mind conjuring up ways to meet him, dreaming about him when she slept. It was like the universe was trying to tell her this was her person.

"I don't want you to be too tired for your flight tomorrow. I should get you back to Leslie," Jett whispered, standing up, breaking their peace.

Sadie stood up and was instantly wrapped into Jett's arms. Their height difference was prominent as she barely reached his broad shoulders.

He was so warm, like a teddy bear. Completely opposite of what you would expect from a guy that wore all black and who's signature look included a frown.

The drive back to the hotel was quiet, both of them still thinking about their amazing evening.

"I hope you had as good of a weekend as I did," Sadie smiled. "Thanks for cooking me dinner."

"The best weekend I've ever had," Jett admitted. "Let me walk you up."

Sadie nodded, and Jett got out to open her door. He tucked her under his arm and guided her to her room.

"Text me when you get home tomorrow. Be safe."

"I'll miss you," she admitted very quietly.

Jett's heart lurched painfully at her pitiful look. He would miss her too, but this was only the beginning.

He leaned down to kiss her goodbye, wrapping her in a tight hug and rubbing her back soothingly.

Finally, he released her and Sadie slipped inside her room, only to be met with a pillow to her face.

"You abandoned me!" Leslie shouted, getting ready to launch her second pillow.

"I'm sorry. I feel really bad, I know it was our last night here," Sadie said, laying on thick so she wouldn't get attacked.

"It's fine. My body would hate me if I got wasted like I have been. Where did you guys go to dinner at?"

Sadie blushed, knowing what was coming. "He cooked me dinner at his house."

"You went to Jett Blackwell's house? Did you sleep with him?" Leslie fired off question before she finally ran out of breath and looked at her sister expectantly.

"Leslie, of course I didn't sleep with him. He just cooked a nice meal and we hung out."

"But you kissed him," Leslie stated. Sadie didn't even have to answer she was sure there wasn't a part of her body that was firetruck red at this point.

Leslie gave a gleeful laugh, "He's the edgy boyfriend and you're the uwu girlfriend."

"Seriously? How old are you?"