12

Two weeks pass by. Having Leslie stay the weekend with Sadie after Jett left really helped her forget the whole thing happened.

The weather was quickly getting warmer, and Sadie was becoming busier by the minute. In fact she was so busy, she was thinking of having to hire another hand or even adopt another horse.

She was considering using the money for a greenhouse or a butterfly garden instead. Truth is, she loved having people come to the ranch, especially little kids. If she could do something for the summer that would bring more people in, that would be a dream come true.

She hadn't heard from Jett, and she wasn't expecting to. That adventure was over, but she was okay with it. Another one was just beginning.

"Sadie, the last client of the day just called and cancelled. The mom said she would call back later to reschedule," Her helper with everything said. Her name was Ashley and she was the best. She was certified through the equine program so she could help with clients, but she also could work her way around a barn. Sadie wouldn't be successful without her.

"Thanks, Ashley. You can take off early then."

Sadie continued to brush Paint. It was raining earlier, but she hoped there was still enough daylight to take him on a trail ride. She heard a car drive through the gravel driveway, but she figured it was Ashley leaving.

That was until she heard someone walking into the barn, startling her.

"Sadie." It was Jett of all people. He looked so handsome standing in front of her with his black jeans and black t-shirt. She hadn't realized how much she had missed him until she saw him.

She had to be strong though. This was still the same person that treated her terrible and then ghosted her for two weeks.

"What are you doing here?" Sadie whispered, averting her gaze to the horse in front of her as her heart beat picked up speed. She was gripping the brush so hard she was certain it was going to snap.

"I couldn't leave what we had on bad terms. I'm sorry for the way I treated you, and I'm sorry for leaving without saying goodbye."

Sadie furrowed her brows, "but why didn't you call or text me? I would have liked to know you were okay."

Jett sighed, stuffing his hands into his pockets, "I didn't think you would want to talk to me."

That was no excuse. She always worried and she thought Jett understood that.

Jett didn't know how to explain what he had been through, but the way he had treated Sadie was inconceivable. Something inside of him was forcing him to lash out, to be hateful. He knew she wouldn't understand that without proof, and he had brought proof.

Sadie looked so beautiful. He had missed her more than he had ever missed a person before. He had picked up the phone to call her, but he was ashamed of how things happened.

Despite everything Sadie still spoke to him in her soft voice. She wasn't angry, she was hurt, and it wounded him deeply to be the one to cause it.

He did know for a fact that he wouldn't have made it through without Sadie. Every other person would have ran for the hills, and even though she had no idea what she was up against, she still welcomed Jett with open arms.

Sadie led Jett into her house so they could talk properly.  She offered him a drink, but he declined, so they took a seat in her living room.

She sat as far away as possible as if the space would protect her from getting hurt.

Jett desperately wanted to hug her, but he knew he had to explain first.

"I went too far in the investigation that night. Something was sucking me in and I allowed to overtake me. I'm an addict for the energy of these places. I just want to know more, but I went too deep and lost myself," he said.

"Jett, how am I supposed to believe that? I had no idea what was going on. All I know was that you were really hateful," she rubbed her arms as goosebumps formed, picturing his screams every night, his cursing. She despised every moment.

"I'm so, so sorry. You should have never been involved, but I don't think I would have snapped out of it if it weren't for you."

"That's not true," she whispered.  She didn't like the thought of Jett being that way forever. Honestly, she was extremely relieved to have him talking to her like they were before. He did seem to be better, or he was good at faking it.

"It is. You put me in my place and put me to work. Nobody else would have done that for me," he murmured, moving to the end of the couch that was closer to Sadie.

He desperately wanted to touch her. He felt she was the only person who could comfort him. He was distraught over the experience, but he realized how it looked to Sadie because it was his body, his voice, just not his words.

"Please, Sadie. Let me prove it to you," Jett said.