14

"I still have nightmares, Sadie," Jett said when she asked if he was ready for bed. "I think it would be best for me to get a hotel." He also didn't want to go back in the room. The feeling would be too overwhelming, the wound too raw.

"There's no hotel anywhere near here," Sadie whispered, furrowing her brow as she noticed fear on the face of the man who had convinced the world he was fearless. "You can sleep in my room, and I can take the guest."

Jett took her hand, lacing their fingers.

"I don't want to put you out, baby," he murmured gently.

Sadie blushed at the endearment as she asked shyly, "We could both sleep in my bed?"

Jett didn't need to travel almost an hour just to sleep. That would be ridiculous, and selfishly Sadie wanted all of the time with him she could get.

"Sadie," Jett whispered, cupping her face tenderly, "it's not a big deal for me to stay somewhere else." He didn't want her saying things just to accommodate him.

He felt her cheeks grow hotter under his hands as she whispered, "Please stay with me," so sweetly, looking up at him with her beautiful, brown eyes.

Jett couldn't resist any longer. He bent his head until his lips met hers. Sadie wrapped her arms around him, and he was complete.

Sadie was caught off guard by the kiss, but the sparks were still there, even when Jett poured all of his pain and struggles into the meeting of their lips.

Jett released her to breathe, leaning up to kiss her head, "I know you are exhausted, so let's go to bed. I'm going to get my bag from the car."

Sadie's heart was beating rapidly in her chest from the kiss, but mostly because she and Jett were going to share her bed. She hadn't shared her bed with anybody but her sisters. What if she did something weird in her sleep like talk or kick?

"Are you okay?" Jett asked, startling the girl who was clearly lost in an anxious thought.

"Yeah I just-" Sadie blushed, fumbling with untucking the duvet and sheets from where they had been neatly made. She didn't want Jett to think she was doing this because she had to, because she wasn't, but that didn't make her any less nervous.

"It's just sleep, Sadie," Jett whispered as he pulled a change of clothes and toiletries from his packed bag.

When he returned, Sadie was already under the covers, looking adorable and sleepy as she looked up at him.

He slid on the other side, and Sadie inches closer until they were almost touching.

"Come on, that's totally teasing," Jett said, wrapping he arm around her and actually pulling her to his side. He couldn't help the grin when Sadie laughed, vibrating his chest.

"I'm sorry if I wake you tonight," Jett murmurs sincerely as Sadie's eyes just fluttered shut. He had been soothingly petting her hair and rubbing her back, lulling her to sleep.

Sadie placed her hand on his chest with a hum, "It's going to be okay."

Jett slept with no nightmares.

--

"Good morning sleeping beauty," Sadie teased the following afternoon when Jett finally got out of bed around noon.

She had already finished her clients and was fixing brunch for the two of them.

Jett took in her cute cowgirl appearance of flared blue jeans and a flannel. Her feet were bare and her hair was nicely braided down her back.

Jett grinned, "I feel so good today." He moved closer to her where she was cooking something that smelled incredibly. "You really don't have to cook for me, baby."

"I'm really glad to hear you are feeling good," she said sincerely, holding her arms out for a hug. "I was hoping we could go on a trail ride if you are interested."

Jett wrapped his arms around her tightly. The country air was working wonders on his shadowed mine, and so was Sadie. She was the best thing that ever happened to him and he promised to never screw it up again.

"I'd love to go on a trail ride with you," he said leaning down to kiss her nose which she scrunched up and gave a quiet giggle.

"Now who's teasing?" Sadie grinned, but turning out of their embrace to tend to their food.

Sadie found Jett to be extra handsome today now that he was relaxed and well rested. He had copied her style with blue jeans instead of his normal black, but of course his shirt was still black.

She had never been so happy before, not like this. She knew there was always a risk, and long distance wasn't ideal, but she couldn't let Jett go when her feelings were this prominent. There was a fiery attraction between the pair, and she was certain he felt it, too. For once, she allowed herself to let go enough to enjoy the moment and let everything fall into place on its own.