3

"You have a coffee date with who?" Leslie screeched after Sadie told her of her morning adventure.

"It's not a date, Leslie. Please don't make it a big deal."

"It's not a big deal, not at all," she mumbled, massaging her temple. "What was he like? Was he cute?"

Sadie felt the blush coming. She would never admit that someone was attractive to her sisters. The topic would never ever disappear, so she avoided the question. The teasing wasn't worth it. "We didn't really talk much. He wanted to be left alone, but he was very polite."

Leslie gave a dramatic sigh, "Hot and broody. A dream package."

"Let's not talk about it anymore. Where do you want to go to first today?"

Leave it to Sadie to brush things like this aside. She hated attention, hated making a big deal out of things. Yet, it was all qualities that made her unique.

"I have a few places in mind," Leslie said, grabbing her cellphone and purse. "I can't believe it. Jett Blackwell."

"I swear if you mention it again, Leslie," Sadie threatened lightly, opening their hotel room door.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll stop." Leslie had no plans of stopping the subject from arising again.

--

Sadie was a bundle of nerves the following morning. What had Jett meant by wanting her company? How should she dress?

Her thoughts were eating her up, and she hardly slept through the night. She had been on a date or two before, but this was different. For one, she wasn't sure it was a date, but mostly this was someone she had fangirled over for a long time.

--

Jett, for some reason, could not get Sadie out of his mind. He had lots of girlfriends, lots of fun, but this felt totally new and different.

After years of paranormal investigating, he had developed a hypothetical third eye where he was incredibly hypersensitive to his surroundings, to the way people made him feel. It baffled him to experience an emotion so unique and new.

Sadie was not anything special in appearances. Her clothes were plain and modest, her body language was guarded. The girls he hung out with and dated were confident and flashy, attracted to money and perfect beauty. Materialistic things rather than the quality of life.

Yet, yesterday morning as he entered the shop hoping for peace and quiet, he found her. He was drawn to her immediately. She didn't even look up when he entered, and he was almost certain she didn't know who he was.

He felt her nerves as soon as he sat down in front of her. He thought she was going to leave her seat and run out of the coffee shop, but she didn't.

He didn't know why he asked to see her today. He knew from her adorable country twang that she was only passing through, yet he was so excited to spend some more time with her.

He arrived at the coffee shop at the same time she did.

"Perfect timing," Jett said, holding the door open for her. She looked so cute in her fitted blue jeans and sweatshirt. The thought struck him odd.

"Yeah, it was," Sadie smiled up at him. Their height difference was quite something. He had to be at least a foot taller than her. "What are you planning on getting?"

When he told her, he never expected her to pay for him.

"I can get that," he protested. He was dumbfounded. When was the last time someone bought him something? Everyone always expected him to pay. They knew he had money.

"It's my treat," Sadie said defiantly, never hesitating. She was incredible.

"Thank you," Jett said sincerely. "Would you like to walk a bit rather than sit in here?"

"I'd love to. It's a beautiful morning," she agreed.

They walked side by side down the sidewalk. Sadie desperately wanted to know what he was thinking. Was he offended she bought his coffee? She thought it was a nice gesture, but of course it wouldn't be taken that way. She always manages to screw these things up.

"Where are you from? Are you on vacation?" Jett started, sensing her turmoil.

"My sister and I are from Kentucky. We just came out for a few days. We fly home tomorrow," Sadie said.

"I knew I heard an accent in there," Jett teased, leading her to a bench where they sat, soaking in the early sun. "How has your trip been?"

Sadie felt herself blush as the real Jett seemed to slowly come through the mask. "It's been fun. We do what I want to do during the day, and I watch over my sister at night."

"Not a partier?" Jett wasn't surprised. Her bit of social anxiety gave that away.

"Not at all. Are you? You do live in Vegas."

He chuckled lowly. The attraction Sadie felt to him on a screen was nothing compared to this. He was so handsome. She had never felt this way before.

"I do tend to enjoy the night life," he answered, and Sadie giggled at the double meaning.

Jett couldn't deny her beauty any longer. Her small stature and calm personality seemed to be exactly what he needed to keep the mess in his head at bay.

"What are your plans today? What if I took you and your sister to some of my personal favorite spots here?" Jett asked. He just wanted to spend more time with her.

"I think I would like that a lot, so would Leslie."