11

The following morning, Sadie had come in from outside to get a drink. Jett had decided he felt well enough to do work on his laptop instead of in the stables with her. He was stretched out on the couch, talking to someone on the phone.

"Yes, I feel really good. I am ready to come back," he said.

That caught Sadie's attention. He was feeling better? Since when? She couldn't help but eavesdrop.

"Alright, I will book the next flight out of here. I'll see you later," Jett cut the call, pulling his laptop back onto his lap.

"You're leaving?" Sadie whispered, startling Jett.

"Who gave you permission to listen to my conversation?" Jett asked, not looking up from his screen.

This is my house. Sadie thought with an invisible eye roll. "I just wanted to see if you are going to need a ride or something."

"I'll figure it out," he stated.

Jett did end up figuring it out. A few hours later Sadie heard a car pull up and she walked out of her office just in time to see him get in a cab with all of his stuff and leave.

He didn't even say goodbye. Sadie didn't know how to react. All of her life she had pushed away dating and focused on school or whatever task had come up, but when she finally let go enough to actually enjoy something, this was how it ended.

She felt the same burning tears again, but she forced them away. There was no point in crying over Jett when he obviously didn't care about her. She had expected it to end like this, but it still stung.

For years, Sadie has obsessed over his shows, his interviews, even the books he wrote, always fantasizing about meeting the Jett Blackwell. She wished she could wipe it all away. Maybe then it wouldn't hurt so much.

Her head began to throb, and she squeezed her eyes shut, willing herself not to get upset, but she couldn't help it. She had liked him a lot.

A sob escaped that she tried to cover, but it was no use. This totally sucked. It had to be all of her fault. She must have pushed him away.

Sadie shook her head. Jett was an asshole though, she deserved better.

She went on with her day, planning to call and update Leslie later, but decided to meet her in person for lunch tomorrow.

------

"He did what?" Leslie screeched, disrupting the atmosphere of the busy restaurant.

"He left," Sadie whispered, swirling her bowl of soup with her spoon. She had filled Leslie in, hoping for some comfort.

Leslie, however, was pissed. This was her big sister, someone who was too anxious to let anyone in, and when she finally got the courage to actually like someone, she was treated like crap.

"I don't care if some demon monkey creature was screwing with his head. If he was feeling better, he could have least talked to you. What an asshole. Sadie, honestly, maybe you dodged a bullet," Leslie said. It hurt her to see her sister so lost and sad. She had only seen her like this once before when they lost their mother a few years ago. Obviously, that was a totally different circumstance, but it just about pulled Sadie under. She was failing classes and about to drop out of school.

"I know you're right. I didn't mean to build a fantasy in my head. It just happened. I was beginning to like him," Sadie whispered.

"At least you can say you had a once in the lifetime trip to Vegas, and forget the rest of this happened. You're young and successful, and everything I want to be. It's not the end of the world."

Sadie shrugged. It certainly felt just as bad. Leslie was right though. No guy had clogged her mind like this before, so why should she start now?

"How are your classes going?" Sadie asked, moving the conversation elsewhere. Both of their schedules were always busy, so it was nice to have a chance to catch up.

"Kicking my butt," Leslie scoffed. "I felt like I eat sleep breathe anything medical right now."

"You look exhausted," Sadie smiled, knowing it would irk her sister who always expected to look perfect.

"It's not like you look any better," Leslie teased, smiling back. "We should fill Mollie in though. I know you hate talking about it, but I'm dying to tell her."

Of course she was. She was surprised Mollie didn't already know. The oldest sister always knew everything, and Leslie was usually the source. Sadie did hate keeping things from her.

"You're right. I've been missing my nephews anyway. Maybe we can get together this weekend or something."

"Actually, can I stay the weekend with you? I really want to ride Copper."

Sadie saw right through her and narrowed her eyes. "You just want to sleep in the same room as Jett."

Leslie pursed her lips to keep from grinning. "Actually, he slept in my room if you want to get technical."