☆Chapter 01☆

Rachel's POV:

The moment I entered the music hall of my school with the package of exuberance, I received a lot of odd looks. I am using a modest term by saying 'odd looks'. I got the contemptuous glares that I was quite accustomed to. But today, I was more than happy and receiving such glares was slowly dampening my mood.

Bethany had informed me to meet here after the school was over. She wanted to fill us in with all the rules and regulations of the upcoming competition.

"Oh, I am sorry. It just slipped my mind to introduce you guys to Rachel. Rachel Winters," Bethany spoke from the front of the classroom. She, like usual, was flanked by her two best friends - Serena who has a black mane and Ashley who, like Bethany, is a brunette.

I don't know what's gotten into these three but their sudden kindness toward me was suspicious. Just in the beginning though. After what Beth had offered me, I was over the moon. She called me by my name.

I could safely say that Bethany was the root cause for my ugly nickname - 'April fool'. I despise it. Although, after a certain period, she got too bored to give me a second glance but by then it had become a hit in my school.

I am called 'April fool' because I was born on 1st April and they think that I am just a joke. My parents probably thought of me as a joke and treated me like one which is what the entire student body thinks and it is so not true. That and my father left my mom when I was just 8. Since then, I have become a source of entertainment for my schoolmates. Everyone hates me. Everyone except one person.

"Hi." I waved meekly. All I got were scornful looks. 'Oh, well! At least, I tried.'

Bethany cleared her throat to catch everybody's attention. "Everybody, attention here!" She clapped her hands for added effects. I quickly stood beside a lanky guy. "So like I'd informed you all earlier, this competition is held next week in our school itself. The judges are going to be some professional singing trainers or singers themselves so I suggest you all select a good song and give your best."

Bethany looked everyone in the eyes and waited for them to process the news she just delivered. I still couldn't believe that she chose me. It felt so surreal. I just hoped that I would perform well and earn everybody's respect.

I have never really sung except for humming here and there but whenever I am home alone, I use my hairbrush as a substitute for the mic and sing. Truth be said, I really find my voice appealing. Not a single soul knows that I could sing but I'd liked to keep it that way up until now. It's just that nobody has ever given me the credits for anything. So I had stopped caring. Except now.

"You all should feel privileged that I have chosen you guys over everybody else out there. I see the potential in you so do not disappoint me in any way, people, you all understand me?"

We all chorused a series of "yes" and she seemed satisfied with the response she got.

"You betcha." She grinned and for a second I thought I saw a dark look crossing her face.

"Hey Bethany, I was wondering if I could..." someone said and I droned out. Everyone gathered around Bethany to clear their doubts and queries. I decided to linger behind and leaned my body against my skateboard.

If I was being honest, I was a bit nervous because stage performances have always intimidated me. Even stage fear was nothing because I have never sung in front of a single person so how would I know if I could actually sound appealing to the crowd?

No one has been there to judge me. My nervousness was gnawing at me and I almost chickened out. But there was this voice that stopped me. A voice that wanted to show these people that she could be an amazingly talented girl too.