☆Chapter 26☆

Today, as we resumed our practice again, I felt happy and fresh. 

Dylan hadn't roasted me like he always would during the lunchtime at our table. He'd been sitting quietly, not engaging in any conversation which was strange because he always flirted with the single girls on our table, especially Serena and Ashley.

Mason’s stubbornness to practice at his home also surprisingly faded away. I felt like we were finally cooperating now. Maybe we all needed that break. 

Like usual, we took our reserved places in the basement. I had practiced the whole song last week, making sure to tune it well like the previous lyrics. I didn't want to give anyone a chance to point out my mistakes.

“Finally!” Bethany exclaimed. She seemed more excited than any of us in the room. Mason gave her a two finger salute and a small smile while I passed her a toothy grin. 

I noticed that Mason wasn't being hostile toward Bethany and was actually trying to be civil for once. I could say that we have all learnt at least one thing that this song would be incomplete without the next person. If we kept on being a fist, we might get out of this with no regrets.

“Yeah,” I mumbled, nodding my head. Like always, Dylan wasn't here. I think it has become his trademark. Either to come late or to not come at all.

“Oh, and Dylan's not going to join us today,” Bethany told us with an uncertain smile. “Said he's got some work to do. He isn't home,” she explained.

“Oh? Yeah?” I asked rhetorically.

“Yes. Now, come on. Let's start with the song. I'm so excited already. Woohoo!” She whooped and I laughed at her theatrics. Mason just rolled his eyes but it wasn't scornful for once. 'Perfect,' I thought happily. 'Now we're talking.'

Just as we were getting ready for Bethany to start with her keyboard first, Dylan burst in with an indifferent look. “Y'all starting without me? Wow, I feel so loved here.”

All three of us stared at him as if he was a ghost. Bethany frowned and walked up to him. She was talking to him in a hushed whisper. From the looks of it, she seemed to be scolding him while he just rolled his eyes. 

Guess, she didn't expect him either. Although for the first time in my life, I was in the least bit bothered by his presence.

I turned to Mason when he nudged me with his drumstick. “You look happy today. Happy looks good on you,” he complimented me with a broad smile. I narrowed my eyes at him playfully and his eyes widened. “I mean, you always look good but today, you're really glowing. I-I me-”

Laughing, I looked down because I didn't know how to react to such nice comments. 

'He really thinks that I always look good?' I thought to myself while my heart was thudding inside my chest. 

Giving him a shy smile, I replied, “Thanks.” He looked relieved and I laughed again at his flushed expression. “Seems like none of us can stay without music.”

“Seems so,” he agreed, nodding his head.

“You won't believe it but Dylan apologized to me,” I whispered, getting closer to his face and he looked at me as if I had grown a second head. I don't know what made me say that but it was mostly because I was trying to find ways to keep talking to him.

“Really?”

“Yeah.” I chuckled because he was beyond shocked. “I was gobsmacked too. But I feel good now.” 'Even when I didn't forgive him,' I wanted to add but decided not to.