☆Chapter 43☆

Winter Formal. The mere term doesn't bring as much excitement and nervousness as it does on the actual day. It creates a fever of wearing new clothes, new shoes, make-up, doing the hair and everything. It's this thing about looking "new". A different you.

I was incessantly bouncing my leg while standing in front of Bethany anxiously. After listening and chattering about this event for days, the day had finally come.

Like every other occasion, it was being held on Friday in our school gym. I'd asked Bethany to tag along with me for the dress shopping. I am as horrible at it as they come. She'd instantly agreed because she'd told me that it's been a while since she went dress shopping.

My whole Sunday was taken up for the same thing because I was made aware that just "buying a dress" isn't it. I had to think about the other aspects as well which included all types of accessories, shoes and other stuff that I didn't even think about. Let's just say that I was sweating all the while looking at the bill. 

I was smart enough to save my salary and not waste it but that's not even in my character. I was almost in tears when the bill was too expensive. Bethany had initiated to pay for me but I had to stop her. After too much convincing, she did.

The moment I ignored the money factor and looked at my shopping stuff, all I could feel were the stars dancing in my eyes. So magnificent. Everything in my bag was so beautiful and magical.

Bethany had shopped on my behalf and I didn't mind it one bit. She'd even complimented me that day that I would be looking and I quote "all starry and ready to break some hearts". Well, I agreed with the first half of her statement.

I'd asked her to come over to my place and she agreed without asking any questions. I wanted all the help I could get for the dress up because I'd never had any occasion to get this much ready for. 'Why do we even dress up so much for a school event again?' I asked myself dumbly.

Right now, the both of us were standing in the parking lot of our school. The area was empty and I couldn't see anybody loitering around, much to my relief. It must be because we were almost 10 minutes late. 

My eyes were bewitched by the snow falling in front of me and I could stare at it straight for hours as it's one of my favorite winter hobbies. It has been snowing here in our town for a week now and today was not an exception. Our school puts up a makeshift roof in the parking lot every year during winters. I couldn't avert my eyes because of how mystifying it looked.

Bethany was busy giving me a pep talk but I was still a nervous wreck.

Mason had wanted me to come with him but I rejected the offer without even thinking. Though I regret it now more than ever. He makes me feel better just with his calming voice and soothing words.

I didn't mean to not come with him but I was scared and overpowered by my embarrassment. I have never in my entire seventeen years of life looked so different. I've never put so much time and effort on my appearance, clothes or make-up because I've always wanted people to know me by my look. Which also happens to be the most comfortable look, at least for me.

"I don't even know why you're chickening out at the last minute, Rach. You look stunning for the umpteenth time!" Bethany's words didn't bring any calmness to my churning insides. In fact, her words heightened my nerves. 

'What if they just keep on staring at me and then scoff because they'd think that I am "trying" too hard?' I thought with an erratic heartbeat.

Sure, I've sung in front of a huge crowd but the thing is, at that moment I had been in my own world and even then, my anxiety did try to overrule me.