☆Chapter 24☆

“So you amended… um the major parts of the song?” Bethany asked, raising her eyebrows. She didn't seem mad which was very relieving. 

I told them about my changes in the lyrics as soon as I'd come for our routine practice. Like always, we were in the basement as all the instruments were placed here. As expected, Mason didn't mind about the changes in the song with the way he was exuding nonchalance. Dylan was nowhere in sight and I couldn't be more thankful for it.

“Uh, yes?” I mumbled, scratching my cheek in nervousness. I seriously didn't want her to tell me to go back to the original lines. I felt like the current lines were talking better than the previous ones.

“But what about the music? And I mean, when are you going to compose the song? Don't we already have less time?” By the way she was talking, I could tell that she was holding back. Holding back from ordering me to go back to what it was. She wasn't doing it because she knew that it's a gift to my mom and that she couldn't have much say in it.

“Bethany,” Mason called out, speaking up for the first time about our discussion. He straightened up from where he was leaning against the wall and walked toward us. “She already said that the tune is going to be the same and we don't have to change the music. Why are you worrying about it? It's Rach who's got to work more here. Plus, it's her mom, she knows her better than anyone in this room including Dylan,” he explained and frowned as he uttered Dylan's name. “So if she deems it better to change the song then what's the issue?” He was being polite with her but I could tell that he was kind of annoyed. I passed him a grateful smile and he nodded at me.

“I don't have any issue, Mason. I was just asking. Is it a crime now?” Bethany asked him with the same attitude.

“Guys,” I called out for their attention to butt in before they could go at each other's throats. “Tone it down.” I chuckled nervously. “I assure you, Beth, that I will take care of my part. Just give me some time. The music won't be altered okay?” I smiled. 

She sighed but grinned in my direction, nonetheless before nodding her head.

“Thank you.”

“All right then, let's start,” Bethany announced, clapping her hands for an added effect, like usual. I swear that girl's full of dramatic traits.

“Where's Dylan, by the way?” I finally asked her. Not that I wanted him here but as a team member, I was just curious about his whereabouts.

“Oh, he's napping. I'll go bring him. Be right back.” With that said, she hurried upstairs.

Mason took a seat behind his drums and I chose to sit at an empty chair in the room, facing him. Placing my lyrics diary on my lap, I started humming the song like I did in the coffee shop. 

Smiling to himself, Mason started playing a beat on his drums lightly. I've heard him play drums and he gets so passionate about it during those moments. I also remember him telling me about his love for this particular instrument.

Feeling my stare, he looked up from his drums and passed me a huge smile. I didn't know what it was for so I just waved at him with an awkward smile of my own. 

“You know, I really love your new lines. They are much better than your previous ones. Almost seems like how you've changed your perception with just the alterations. The old ones were good too but these speak about how you really see your mom. It shows that you're the writer.”

His compliments were so out of the blue that I was thrown off guard by how genuine he seemed. The words he spoke didn't seem filtered at all. My heart soared and I blushed at his words. I glanced down at my diary for just a second and when I looked up, he chuckled in amusement. “Thank you. I felt the same.”