Comfort

There is an undeniable need to be held , a state of pure shattering in the atmosphere which requires a certain amount of comfort from anyone who cares. There are certain things that cannot be dealt with alone , certain wounds that cannot be reached by the hands of my own.

There is this tightness in my chest that leaves me gasping for air and yearning to break down into a million questions in the arms of somebody else. There is this tenderness , a gentle aura that I have been lacking in my childhood , one that i need now as I progress into this stage of young adulthood.

There is this need to wrap my arms around another , to have them hold me close and gaze at me with utter amazement and love. There is this wanting to be kissed , to feel my heartbeat beating rhythmically against another soul. I need touch , I need the tears to be wiped from off my cheeks and to be told that I am beautiful even though the fact is something I already know.

I need someone to hold me as I sob , to reassure me that everything is going to be okay even though I have already uttered those promises to myself. I need someone to ask me if I am okay , to see through the facade and hold me close as I crumble under the weight of how much of me these people often take.

I need someone to call me , to write me little letters , to love me so hard that they are unable to breathe in the absence of my presence. I need someone , because I am drowning under the pressure of having to swim to shore alone. I need comfort , because I will die between the patterns of everything I have come to know.

                           -Liyah Smith