eight

jungkook's shyness held him back from forming any real friendships except for his pals at college. he never had any childhood buddies, he's always been reserved and modest, his good looks perpetually making him popular and well-known amongst the students for whatever reason he never understood.

the last time someone outside of his group of friends found out his parents were managing a small patisserie in the less luxurious part of seoul, the teasing and cheeky mocking had been never-ending, everyone envious of him happy of the fact that the beloved, perfect boy finally had a flaw they could pick on.

he wasn't poor or anything, but giving jimin as an example — compared to him, jungkook had to work his ass off so he could afford his pricey car. the kim brothers were sons of a judge and prosecutor and hoseok wasn't doing so bad himself, his mom and older sister were well-known lawyers. his dad used to be a senior policeman who sacrificed himself in order to save two children accidentally witnessing a robbery and was shot to death while trying to protect them. hoseok's biggest wish was to follow in his father's footsteps, but seokjin's stressful assignments and difficult exams weren't that much of a help in order for hobi to pursue his dream.

even though your step dad was the chief of police, making in a month what jungkook's parents struggled to earn in two years, he knew you weren't materialistic, genuine kindness and simplicity were written all over your face. so down to earth and considerate, in his eyes you were different from anyone he's ever met.

but still, he couldn't help himself. the block he's got built around his heart grew thicker as you were getting closer to the bakery, the two of you quietly walking next to each other while crossing the peaceful intersection.

• • •

your phone

Jimin: Where are you?

Jimin: Are you out again?

Jimin: I just got home and no one's here

you: mom just left for work and i'm hanging out with a friend

Jimin: Oh so you're with Jungkook

Jimin: Where?

you: that's none of your business, leave me alone

you: you're so weird lately

Jimin: Send me your location

you: yes that's my favorite khalid song

Jimin: Jesus you're so annoying

you: you're annoying, not jesus

Jimin: Y/N you're the one who's being weird

Jimin: Where did Jungkook take you?

Jimin: Why isn't he answering his phone

Jimin: Why aren't you answering my texts?

Jimin: Did you just turn off your phone

• • •

you turned off your phone after texting jimin, sighing profoundly and being furious at your annoying step brother.

on the other hand, jungkook was visibly sweating, internally fighting with himself to make conversation but you weren't paying attention to him at all — that resulted with the poor guy talking to himself without even knowing.