I : EIGHT

Minka Kelly as Vera Calmiken aka The Challenger

Jana doesn't move, she's frozen in the spot she stands. Killshot, you have a challenger. The assassin has faced her fair share of people after her title, and she's killed more than she'd like to admit to keep it. But since the beginning of time, no Handler had ever sought out someone to challenge the title holder. Not until now.

Snapping herself out of her trance, Jana takes a step to the door, only for the Mandalorian to grab her arm and roughly yank her back, "Don't even think about it."

Jana can't look at him, "Mando, let me go."

"If you go out there you'll die," The Mandalorian seethes, bringing Jana closer to him, "They'll put a hundred blasts through you before you're even in the light."

"No they won't," Jana says confidently, "Now let me go."

Jana's confidence comes from tradition. To Killshot, there is nothing more sacred than the passing on of the title. Each challenge brings the idea of change, and an individual achieving their destiny. Even at her worst, the Handler would respect each challenge that came, and so would Jana. The only thing that can bring disgrace to a Killshot's name is refusing a challenge.

Jana has to accept. She doesn't have the option not to.

"Don't be stupid," Cara calls from across the room.

"It's a challenge!" Jana shakes her head, yelling "I don't have a choice!"

"Why?!" Mando snaps, and Jana just stares up at her partner, her eyes stinging with unshed tears as they look at each other. The Mandalorian takes a breath, his hand moving down Jana's arm to her hand, holding it tightly in his as he quietly repeats, "Why do you need to go out there?"

The words come out of her easily;

"It's my Creed."

Jana knows he understands when he finally releases her hand. The woman frowns, stepping towards the door, "I'm sorry," She says, glancing briefly at Cara and Karga before looking to the Mandalorian, "Get out of here, I'll find you after."

When she moves to the panel that opens the door, Jana feels like she's watching herself from above. She can see the troops outside, the Moff and the Handler, as well as her crew. From outside of her own body she watches as she presses the button to open the door before raising her hands and stepping outside. The door closes, and Jana sets her eyes on the challenger for the first time.

As soon as she recognizes her Jana feels light headed.

The challenger is her older sister; Vera Calmiken.

Keeping her hands raised, Jana slowly strides closer to where the Handler stands, "The challenge must be satisfied," Jana says, the ceremonial words leaving her, "I accept."

Vera's smirk is arrogant, and much like the one Jana wears often. However, she doesn't say anything, because the Handler is the first to speak, "Follow me."

Jana can feel every set of eyes trained on her, from Moff Gideon's to her crew's; she feels it all.

Looking over her shoulder, Jana tries to catch a glimpse of anyone in the building she just left. She thinks of the Mandalorian letting her go of her hand, understanding why she has to do this, and she starts silently praying to the Killshots of the past that she'll be able to return to him.

---

The Handler leads both of her daughters out into the lava fields just outside of the city. The scent of hot, thick volcanic ash mixed with sulfur is all Jana can feel as she walks, only stopping when she's told to.