The training

"So... they are superhuman powers and each one is different from the next?"

"Some may be similar but never the same." Kunikida explained. "They mostly come from our ancestors, family members often have abilities that may resemble those of their parents or grandparents. Take Atsushi for example-"

You glanced at the boy across the table from you.

"-his ability comes from the werewolf clan, it's very likely that he may be a descendent of sorts. The more alike your ability is to that of a pure magical creature, the more powerful it becomes."

"Magical creatures?"

"Werewolves, trolls, sirens,..etc. The four most powerful ones are the elemental creatures: mermaids for water, faeries for earth, demons for fire and harpies for air."

"And what about the descendants without abilities?"

Kunikida pauses for a moment, the second he was about to say something Dazai burst through the room. "Kunikida, there you are! And lady (Y/n) is here as well, perfect! I have a task for you."

"What is it?" The be-spectacled man asked.

"Since our darling princess still has five days with us I would like you to formally train her."

"Excuse me?" You stood up as fast as the eye could blink. "I am in no need of physical training, I can defend myself quite well."

Kunikida was unnaturally quiet.

"You saw what I did with Atsushi, had he not used his ' ability '-" You emphasised with air quotes, "I would have won that fight."

Dazai nodded, "And that is precisely my point. You'd be fine as long as you don't encounter an ability user, however, as most of us have abilities so do most of our enemies. And that is precisely why I'd like our dearest Kunikida to help you develop skills that may help you gain the upper hand in a fight with an ability user."

You poured but said nothing more, you couldn't deny that the man had a point.

When the captain was satisfied with your silence he turned to walk out the door, but not before saying: "Oh and Kunikida? Don't go easy on her."

The blond man stood up and gave you a sharp look. "Three times a day or more, every day. We begin when the sun rises in the morning. Be late and there will be consequences."

You gulped and nodded.

Maybe it won't be so bad.

***

It's worse, so much worse.

Kunikida had no mercy whatsoever, beating you with a stick. The excuse was: "How do you expect to dodge an attack when you can't even dodge a stick?"

You didn't think he realised how fast said stick was moving in his hands. The man was all over the bloody place! As soon as you escaped one hit, four more came along. Leaving you bashed and bruised all over. You fell to the ground while holding your stomach in pain.

"Are we done yet?" You asked in between puffs.

"Not even close." Kunikida offered a hand to help you up from the floor.

"Can't we start with something easier? Or at least less painful?" You asked as you tried standing up straight before doubling over in pain once more. His last hit got you good.

"We have to cover the grounds of combat training, sword fighting, archery and meditation." He opened his notebook and wrote something down. "I meditate twice a day every day before breakfast and dinner. Since I already did my morning one we'll do our afternoon one together. Until then we'll cover the other three. So Miss (Y/n) what would you prefer?"