Introduction

Shades of green and aqua blue,
The sea painted a thousand hues.
Beneath thundering ocean waves,
Out of the reach of mariners graves.
A living testimony swims in majesty
once the rulers of the sea
A whale song rings from beneath the ocean
A song of praise and true devotion.

To the God of creation and of the sea
A sea being robbed by cruel thieves
The whale song drifts silently away
The hands of man have silenced their praise
As God looks down in his majesty
As tears trickle down on the silent sea

Swift Mansion, 17xx

You woke up with a startle as you focused your attention on the small, high-pitched voices calling out to you. Unbeknownst to your attacker you had a knife hidden under your pillow and you were ready to use it. 

"Big sis?" a tired, scared voice whispered. You sighed and let go of the knife that rested under your pillow. You run a hand over your face and looked at the two little monsters on your left. "Abigail, Eric, what are you two doing awake at this hour?" You questioned the young twins. 

"I had a nightmare." Abigail murmured quietly. "And when I woke up I scared Eric, so now we're both awake."

You exhaled slowly and opened your arms to them. "Well come on then." You smiled as the twins giggled and climbed into bed, completely ignoring your failed attempts at hugging them. "Doesn't your big sister deserve a cuddle for her kindness."

"No." They exclaimed at the same time as they hid under the blankets and started dozing off. 

They did that a lot, a strange habit indeed. You pout relaxed into a small smile, you didn't know when they started sleeping with their heads under the blankets – or how for that matter – but they seem to fall asleep immediately when they do. So you had no complaints whatsoever. You stared at the small lumps under your blankets and began humming your tune once more, your delicate voice echoing throughout the now silent room. 

You remember your mother singing that song, she had the voice of a siren and the beauty of an angel. Although, in all honesty, you really had no proper memory of her face. You just remember her beauty was striking mainly due to the rare time your father would tell you stories of her, either him or the maids who complemented you on your looks more often than not, followed by the phrase 'Just like your mother.'

"M'lady, are you alright? I heard noises."

You looked up and spotted a young man at the entrance to your room, you'd recognise his voice anywhere. "How many times must I tell you to call me (Y/n), Atsushi?" You gave him a gentle, yet slightly reprimanding look. "And I'm fine, the twins just woke up and wanted company." Your hand gently patted the two small figures hidden in your bed. 

"I see," he grinned back, worry leaving his facial features. "I'm sorry for barging in." 

"Everything's fine Atsushi, you can go back to sleep." 

Atsushi seemed sceptical at first, but after a good look at the empty room he nodded reluctantly. "Alright then, goodnight m'lady." 

"Goodnight." 

Atsushi was a kind boy, he became part of your father's servants only a month ago but he already made friends with most the people around here. He was selfless and his altruist nature was something you could rarely see in men these days. You remembered the day the marines returned with the poor boy, battered and bruised due to an frightening collision he had with godawful pirates. The scum of the seas, that's what they were. You read numerous tales about pirates, treasures and adventures. Although you enjoyed the stories, you despised the pirates themselves. You've read just as many newspapers about the death and destruction they brought to your people, it was hard not to despise them.