The test

"She's improving at an alarming rate, Dazai." Kunikida explained, "Yesterday she was actually able to dodge quite a few of my attacks, today she managed to block and counterattack most of them. She managed to disarm both Atsushi and Jun'ichiro of their weapons more than once and although her shooting skills aren't extraordinary they are still above average for two and a half days training."
Dazai hummed and drank his tea. "That's a good thing, you do realise that right? I was the one who asked you to prepare her."

Kunikida's eye twitched, "What if she turns on us? How can you be certain she won't betray us as soon as she gets the chance? I agreed to train her for basic skills if the worst case scenario comes to be, but..."

Dazai smiled teasingly, "Kunikida~ I'm under the impression that you cannot handle our sweet, little princess."

Kunikida was so pissed that Dazai could almost see a vein popping. "That's not it at all, you suicidal maniac! I have handled far more dangerous people than her in my life. The problem- Dazai- is that her calculating mind together with her ability to adapt to any opponent is not a good combination should she plot against us. She already has many of our moves down to a T." He reasoned, "The way she studies people when they move is unsettling, it's so precise and thorough when analysing her opponents. Even Yosano noticed which means I am not being paranoid."

"You worry too much Kunikida~ You ought to learn to live in the moment."

The Quarters master rolled his eyes and walked out of the galley and onto the main deck where the crew was chatting. You were meditating in Dazai's room where you wouldn't be disturbed when you heard a loud splash. You knew Kunikida would kill you if you interrupted your training for something so trivial, so you ignored it. Since the crew didn't take notice, you guessed it was something like a fish or a sea dolphin splashing around.

A minute or two passed before you were done. You walked out of the chambers and came face to face with a panicking Atsushi.

"Miss (Y/n)! Have you seen Dazai by any chance?"
You blinked once... twice.. "Have you checked the crow's nest?"

Atsushi nodded with eyes full of worry. "Kunikida needed to discuss something with him but he was nowhere to be seen! We already searched the entire ship but nothing."

'Could it be that he..?'

"When and where was the last anyone saw him?" You inquired urgently.

"Ranpo said he was near the railing and staring at something in the water seconds before Kunikida asked for him."

You ran out of the room and at the very back of the ship. You stared at the trail of water the vessel left behind. "Shit!"

Yosano raised an eyebrow with a smug look, "Swearing, miss (Y/n)? My my, surely we would happen to be rubbing off on you, would we?"

You shot her a nasty glare before explaining the situation as the others gathered around you. "I heard a loud splash a few minutes ago."

"I swear, that suicidal maniac is nothing but trouble." Kunikida muttered angrily.

"Suicidal, you mean he wasn't kidding when he asked me to..."

"Dead serious." Kenji nodded.

"I met him because I saved him from an attempted suicide." The weretiger added.

"Was that the time he said the river looked nice and jumped in?"

"Yep." Atsushi said, popping the 'p'.

"Focus." You found yourself raising your voice for the first time in a while. "He shouldn't be too far, I heard the sound not too long ago and the wind isn't so strong so we should be able to get to him-"