The devil

"Chuuya, what's wrong dear?" Kouyou asked the short man kindly. "Why the long face?"

Chuuya walked in her office with a glum look. "Nee-san, did you know about Dazai's letters?" Kouyou's eyes widened a little at that.

"I wouldn't be the boss if I didn't, dear. Everything goes through me, whether people intend me to hear or not." She smiled a little, "By that look I guess you didn't."

"Why didn't you tell me? If I'd received the letter I would have come back much sooner!"

Kouyo smiled knowingly, "That is precisely why I didn't send a Wayfinder. You know that boy better than I do Chuuya, and I am certain that you know he never does anything lest he is already aware that the outcome will be beneficial to him." She explained the obvious, "He truly is Mori's protégé."

Chuuya looked at his feet at the mention of the old boss, hearing Kouyou's own voice break a little as well. "Fair enough."

"So, dear... What happened?"

"Nothing of importance..."

Kouyou's expression darkened slightly and her voice lowered by an octave. "Then why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" The older lady sighed, "You know you can talk to me Chuuya, just because I am your boss doesn't change the fact that I raised you and I will listen to you."

Chuuya gulped at Nee-san's gentle eyes and gave in. "Fine." He continued, although reluctantly. "You know about the Swift child, right?"

Kouyou's eyebrow raised in interest, "I believe her name was (Y/n) correct? She's the one with the bounty on her head together with the Weretiger."

"Yes, her." Chuuya nodded, "I went to visit Dazai in the torture chambers and she was there as well. Thing is, I don't know why, but she is... she just..." The young man growled, "She pisses me off."

"Is that all?"

"No!" He raised his voice a little before lowering it again after Kouyou glared at him. "No. That woman, (Y/n) Swift, she is dangerous."

"Oh?" A glint of interest passed through the boss's eyes. "And why would that be?"

"Because the way she acts, thinks, moves, breathes-" He interrupted himself, "I've known Dazai for a long time. We practically grew up together, it's reasonable that he would know my movements beforehand. But the girl... She saw my ability once and immediately knew what it consisted of. For all she knew I could have simply had supernatural strength, yet she guessed that with my ability I would be able to control the gravity of an object and I know for a fact Dazai kept her in the dark by the surprised expression on her face when I threatened him; she thought I was his friend at first. She also was able to predict my actions without having ever fought me."

"That is quite impressive, but I wouldn't exactly deem her a threat, dear." The woman reasoned, "She is still the daughter of a navy officer, I doubt she won't betray the Vagabongs should the chance present itself."

"Based on Akutagawa and Higuchi's reports, she seemed to have saved members of the crew, even though she had the perfect chance to escape. What worries me most though... She has the same look in her eyes." Chuuya glared at his feet, "The look both Dazai and Mori were gifted with. The look that tells me no matter what I do, how I think, where I go - they already know the route I'm going to take. They planned for me to take action or stand aside, to speak or stay silent - That same reason Mori kept Dazai in the Port Mafia, is why Dazai himself is keeping her."

"And what gives you that idea?"

"The way he smiles proudly at her when she does exactly what he would have."  He grimaces, "It creeps me out because it's exactly what Mori looked like when Dazai did something sinister. And I swear that when she speaks, she and Dazai are each other's reflection."