The quarrel

You expected death to hurt more.

Well... not death itself, more like you expected the cause of death to be more painful.

And yet all you felt were Dazai's arm wrapped around you tightly, as if the heartless man was holding onto you for dear life. He purposefully shifted his weight so he was the one falling first. To be honest, it was exhilarating, the fall made you feel as though your stomach reached your throat. Your heart was beating so fast you couldn't hear anything over the thumping it played in your head.

And– for a single moment– you let yourself take in the captain's scent. Letting it overwhelm your senses. Maybe this wasn't such a terrible way to go.

That's all you could think of until you hit the bottom. Thing is, where you expected sharp spikes and broken bones, you got a loud splash and lack of oxygen. You opened your eyes and you saw Dazai pulling you upwards, how was he going upwards? He was defying every law of nature by-

And then realisation hit you.

Not just the fact you were underwater, oh no. You had just realised how well Dazai had played you. From the very beginning, he had planned everything out. You weren't sure whether you should be impressed or furious.

You began swimming together with him until your head finally broke the surface of the water. You took a deep breath and immediately looked over at the man wearing the most smug expression you had ever seen.

"Proud of yourself?" You deadpanned.

His head snapped in your direction as you raised an eyebrow, what surprised him most was how calm you were being about this whole ordeal.

"I am," He said with a devilish smile. "Aren't you supposed to be mad?"

"Oh, I am." You nodded. "Fuming, in fact. I'll just wait until we're on your ship so I can punch you properly."

"Frightening."

"Shut up." You rolled your eyes and followed him as he swan amidst the 'rocks'. You could still see the illusion, so you had no idea where you were supposed to go. Dazai on the other hand could see right through the illusion due to that annoyingly useful ability of his. He suddenly stopped and you heard voices coming from above you.

"Captain! Miss (Y/n)! Up here!"

You looked up but you were still blinded by the grey and brown colours made by the illusion. You let the captain help you climb up the ship, once you were on board you felt the ship begin to move and small green specks that resembled snowflakes began falling. You looked around you and you were finally able to make out the figures of the crewmates.

Once the ship was at a fairly safe distance, you noticed that all the navy vessels had been completely obliterated. There was nothing ahead but smooth sailing as the marines standing at the edge of the cliff finally realised they had been tricked.

You turned to the crew and they were all cheering and hugging each other at the job well done. You sighed and they all turned towards you with tense looks and expressions.

"Where is she?"

"What are-"

"Where is she?"

"Miss (Y/n)-"

"I'm not mad." You explained calmly when Atsushi shot you a panicked look. "I just want to see the girl."

Dazai turned his head towards the kitchen door, "I guess there's no reason to hide, she knows you're here."

Slowly the door creaked open and a small girl dressed in traditional Japanese clothing walked out. She was squeezing her hands tightly and her bottom lip trembled a little. She refused to make eye contact with you, her azure orbs firmly glued to the ground.