Chapter 31

"Chris..."

This was the fourth time someone had called him. But he didn't care. He continued hitting random keys on the behemoth of a synthesiser in front of him hoping to make some music. This one synth was too old and too notorious for not making desired sounds unless the user selected just the right settings. Chris wasn't even allowed to use it but in certain times when inspiration hit, he couldn't help but poke around the machine. This was one of those times. Besides if they really needed him to do something, they could have just walked into the studio and shove him a little. Most of the staff and all the band members knew that when he was focused on music making he wouldn't move. Even on hours at end.

"Chris!"

"Not now!", he hastily fired back before going back to turning random knobs on the machine.

"He's in one of his moods..."

"Chris!!!", this time he felt a slight push on his shoulder.

Startled, he swiftly turned around

Guy stood in front of him, amused and slightly tipsy. Will stood behind him ready to catch him if he fell.

"I was just saying that we're going home..."

"So early?", Chris interjected

"Early for you, I've been here all day... Working..."

"Oh", Chris mumbled, "Well, what about you Will?"

"Yeah I've been here too with him. We recorded some nice samples I think. I added some to your demos. You should review it.", he paused and gestured at the synth, "When you're done doing whatever the hell you're doing..."

"Oh yeah... Yeah... Its nothing... I'll review it. I'm gonna be here for a while anyways. What's the time?"

Will looked at his wrist watch

"It's almost 10 pm"

"Yeah that's early... Was Jonny here?"

Guy smirked and stared at Chris mischievously while Will rolled his eyes.

"Yeah... He said he'd be back around later in the night to...", he paused abruptly and smiled again, "Make music with you... Yep"

Chris tried to play it cool but failed. He could feel the blood rush to his cheeks. Nonetheless he tried to ignore it and returned to normal conversation.

"Okay."

"You sure you're gonna be okay here till he comes?", Will gestured at the synth and then at Chris, "What with the flight and the jet lag and all that... Aren't you even a little sleepy?"

"No. I slept for 14 hours yesterday and I don't think I'll be sleeping for a week"

"He's been hit with...", Guy flailed his arms around dramatically and then whispered, "Inspiration!"

Chris laughed and nodded.

"Right, well... I'm going home for the night, lads", Will yawned

"Yeah me too.", Guy replied, "Night Chris..."

"Night"

Before the boys could say anything else Chris got back to his fun but futile activity of trying to produce a pleasant noise from the old synth. He heard them laugh and leave eventually. By this time the boys were used to him being immersed in the music when inspiration hit.

"Come on... one good sound"

He kept turning knobs and pushing buttons. In his trance he didn't notice the time flow by, or hear the sound of a door opening.