Chapter 23 - Everything's Not Lost Part 2

A/N: Been a month since I published the last chapter. I feel weird writing this story. It will end soon though.

..............................................

"So he's gonna be okay?", Guy asked pensively, as if his mind was elsewhere.

"Yeah. He will be", a woman in a white coat answered in a British accent, "He had lost a lot of blood. We already have made up for the loss, and started him on saline just to be safe. He will be okay in a day. He might have cluster headaches for a day or two, but its nothing big. It happens"

"Thank you so much doctor. That lifts a weight off my shoulders", Guy answered looking at her.

The doctor smiled while checking the IV drip. Guy's eyes trailed downwards towards her lean figure. She was pretty. Very pretty. And she knew it. She must have understood what was going on in Guy's mind as she looked at him and flashed another smile. Guy smiled back, stealing a glance at her revealing red dress underneath the white coat. Everything about her spoke that she's professional, but a woman nonetheless. Guy shrugged a bit to think that her outfit kind of screamed out the last part.

"It's okay. Next time he feels like giving blood ask him to eat a full meal first", She walked towards Guy.

"Mr. Berryman I presume?", she asked arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah", Guy replied looking at the man fast asleep on the hospital bed.

"I am Dr. Rachel Hunter. I will be overseeing both your friends' cases", She said extending her hand.

Guy responded by shaking it. He ran hand through his auburn hair and looked at the man again. A wave of rage, frustration and fear ran through his body. 

I should have come faster... It's all my fault.

The doctor seemed to have noticed it.

"I am sorry Mr. Berryman. We are trying our best to save him. But...", the doctor put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

Guy nodded his head knowing full well that she wasn't talking about the man in front of them.

"It's hard. I know", she gently squeezed his arm.

"Yes. Yes it is.", Guy covered his face with his hands and breathed heavily.

"I am sorry, Guy. He's on his way to the operating theatre now. Maybe we will...", she began.

"Don't.", Guy gasped, "Don't give me false hope, Miss Hunter. Don't"

He looked up.

"Rachel", she replied, "Call me Rachel. And its not false hope, Guy. It's possible. I have been a doctor for almost fourteen years now and I have seen things that... That could only be called a miracle."

Guy didn't reply. He stared at the motionless man on the bed. The man who had almost sacrificed his life to save another. The man who had been his best friend for almost twenty years. The man none other than Jonathan Buckland.

"Sit down, Guy... Let me tell you a story...", she guided him to the couch next to the bed and sat down.

"I am not in the mood for stories right now, Dr. Hunt--"

She sneered at him

"I mean Rachel"

She smiled, "You might like this one. It's about my sister. She's a doctor too"

Guy looked up. 

"My sister's virtually saved a man who had been dead for about seven minutes", she asked.