Four

*Two weeks later*

For the last fourteen days, Jeno always went to the trees lining Jaemin's backyard and looked up at the big house. Oh how he wanted to just climb up there and rescue Jaemin from his horrible life. He just wanted his friend to be happy, but they were obviously keeping the two boys apart.

He was very upset about it, but he tried to keep himself from crying as much as possible. It was hard, but he knew Jaemin would come to him sooner or later. So everyday, he would go to their spot at the river and wait. He just prayed that Jaemin would show up, but he never did.

Until one day.

"Jeno?" He asked. Jeno looked up from where he was sitting on the ground and he smiled brightly while standing up to hug Jaemin. "I'm sorry. My parents wouldn't let me come see you. They're both at a meeting right now though so I snuck out."

Jeno pulled back from the hug and examined Jaemin. He looked healthy and fine, but he also looked sad.

"What's wrong?"

"Can we spend the next hour hanging out?"

"Of course, but... seriously, what's wrong?"

Jaemin sighed and leaned in to hug him again. "My parents are forcing me to move to Seoul."

Jeno's head tilted to the side and then he shook it rapidly once he finished processing the words that just came out of Jaemin's mouth.

"What do you mean? I thought they liked it here in Busan."

"They do, but they don't want me to be around you anymore. They think you're a "distraction"."

Yes. Jeno was a distraction. A distraction from Jaemin's pain.

"Wh-when are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow."

Jaemin's heart sunk at Jeno's sad expression. He wanted to cry so bad, but he knew Jeno would follow him in crying.

For the next hour, they just sat by the frozen water, talking sbout the last three years and what they were going to do now.

"I should probably get going," Jaemin said, standing up with Jeno doing the same. "My parents are gonna be home soon." He was staring at Jeno who was confused.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm memorizing your face," he whispered, the tears starting to fall. He ran to Jeno to tightly hug him as both of them started balling.

Jaemin's parents knew he didn't want to leave. He cried and begged them not to do it, but they didn't listen. They didn't care about his feelings. They just cared about their reputation and money.

"Tell me you'll be okay," he cried, clutching onto Jeno's jacket. "Promise me that you'll be okay. Promise me that you'll make new friends and be happy."

"Wh-what?"

"I won't be able to sleep at night unless I know that you'll be okay! I-I just need you to promise me that it'll all be okay."

Jaemin's words were almost as hurtful as the fact that he was leaving. Did he mean that there was a reason for it to not be okay? Was Jaemin himself even going to be okay after this?

Jeno was so confused and hurting that he said the words "I promise" without even being sure that he could keep his promise. As Jaemin walked away back down the trail to walk out of the forest, Jeno put his hand over his heart that was screaming in pain.

It hurt for him to breathe the same air that Jaemin just was. For him to think of the boy. For him to even exist at the same time as Jaemin.

That night, for the first time, Soobin felt bad for Jeno. The boy was screaming and sobbing into his pillow like he was being tortured. And truthfully, he was. He tried not to cry, but when he finally processed that he might not see Jaemin again, he broke down.

"Sweetheart?" His mom asked from the door. "I bought you doughnuts." She walked over and sat them on the nightstand before sitting on the edge of the bed. "Jeno, look at me." He was facing away with the blanket over him and she lightly shook his shoulder. "Lee Jeno."

"What?" He shakily groaned.

"Don't give me attitude, okay? I just want you to stop crying. Listen to me now. You've gone through a lot. You learned about why you live here, why your mom had to give you up. You're a few months older than Lia and the others so I always relied on you to help out. You and her were always very understanding. Always helped watch the younger ones and do chores around the house. And we were always harder on you because since you've been here the longest, you kind of became our kid. We want you to go out and have fun, but there are limitations to that. Most of them are rules we were given by the government, so you can blame them for that. Anyway, my point is that... you've been through hell. You had to watch a bunch of other kids get adopted while you didn't. It must've hurt, and I can't imagine how you felt. I thought that this would be your only home until you turn nineteen, but it seems like you already found another one."

"What do you mean?"

"You found a home in that boy, and I'm so sorry it was ripped from you so quickly. You shouldn't have had to go through that. But I want you to know that your family is here for you, so I'm giving you a gift," she said, standing up and walking to the light switch to turn it on.

Jeno sat up and rubbed his eyes as she walked back over with a packet.

"What is this?" He asked, looking over it.

"I signed the adoption forms. Your father still has to sign them to get custody too, but you are legally now my son."

He felt tears in his eyes again as he looked at the papers and then at her before he jumped up to hug her.

"You guys are making me emotional," Soobin said even though he was half asleep.

Jeno giggled and his mom kissed the top of his head.

"I know it hurts to lose someone you love Jeno, but it'll be okay. Try to get some sleep. If I hear any more crying, I'll get the younger kids to come in here and force you to cuddle with them."

He playfully glared at her and she laughed as she turned off the light and walked out.