Nine

"I'm happy for you. I'm just curious," Jeno said once he and Jaemin went into a private room. "Also, what's with the pink hair?"

"What happened to your contacts?"

"Touché."

"Jeno, you know that my parents have been wanting me to get married to a rich girl ever since I was a child. That was basically why I was born. Karina and I are going to end this after a few years though."

Jeno had honestly forgotten how horrible Jaemin's parents were. He forgot that they would go that far just to get a little more money for their family.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I love Karina. As a friend." Jeno nodded and Jaemin looked at him for a moment before sighing. "Why didn't you come sooner? It's been seven years, Jeno. I mean, I would've come back myself, but I couldn't. I missed you."

Jeno shrugged and adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose. It was the cutest thing Jaemin had seen in a while and he had to bite his lip to keep himself from smiling.

This was no time to get all cutesy and shy.

He was genuinely mad at him right now.

"Well first of all, I was trapped in that house until I was an adult. And after I did become an adult, I was too busy with school. And I was scared."

"Scared of what?"

"I was scared that you changed. Or you didn't like how I changed. I mean look at us. Last time I saw you, you were this cute kid who was shorter than me. Now we're the same height and... you're a man." Jaemin shyly smiled and looked down, reaching forward to lightly hit Jeno's arm. "What was that for?"

Jaemin shrugged and smiled shyly again. "You got muscles," he giggled, looking at Jeno's arms that were visible through his shirt since he wasn't wearing his jacket. "And... you're insanely handsome."

"Na Jaemin, are you flirting?"

Jaemin snorted and rolled his eyes.

"I have a fiance."

"That you have no romantic feelings for. Come on. Just run away from your family so you don't have to do this."

"I can't. I need my parents' money."

"For what? A house? Come live with Soobin, Lia, and I and get a job to help us pay rent. We can help you."

Jaemin sighed and shook his head. "It's not that simple Jeno. I can't just pick everything up and move back."

"Why not? You picked everything up and moved here."

"No, Jeno," he said firmly, making the boy wince. "I'm sorry, but no. It's too late."

"It's not too-"

"Jeno, just leave it alone. I don't need you butting in. I'm fine. What, are you moving here or something?"

Jeno shook his head. "I'm leaving in two days."

Jaemin stepped back a little and looked down. "You're leaving me again?"

"Well there's no point in staying. If you don't care about yourself enough to get out of this situation, then... I'm not gonna stay here and watch my old best friend suffer."

His old best friend?

"What do you mean?" Jaemin asked. "What do you mean "old best friend"? Are you breaking up with me?" He was laughing but awkwardly stopped when Jeno kept a straight face.

"I'm serious Jaemin."

"Why do you you have to change things? I'm perfectly happy here."

"Fine. You be happy here, and I'll go back to Busan where I'll never bother you again." He grabbed his jacket and put it on as Jaemin bit his lip while contemplating what to say. "And please, don't invite me to the wedding."