Suprise...

It had been around 15 minutes and both hailey and nat arrived. Even though Will had said she was going to leave Owen with Maggie, she fetched him along with her. "Hey Nat, hey hails" jay shouted at the door as the the women and child entered, "sorry jay, I had to fetch him along, Maggie was busy." Nat explained as Owen ran over to give Jay a hug. Hailey just laughed at jay since he didn't really come across as the children whisperer type. "No problem, he's an angel" jay giggled back as he picked Owen up into his arms, "an angel alright" Will laughed in disagreement. They four of them just laughed for a second before hailey spoke up.
Rose was still in her room, she was setting it out how she wanted it when she was interrupted by sounds of laughter and talking coming from the living room. She paused in her tracks and looked in the mirror to see if she was presentable enough, she shook herself up and thought she looked decent after the past couple of days she's had. Edging her way to the door she took a deep breath before listening in to their conversation, so far she could hear her brothers, two women which she assumed were hailey and nat but she could also hear a child, she remembered jay mentioned something about wills girlfriend having a kid in the meeting they had before so she cottoned on that the child must be hers. She opened her door quietly and crept out to the end of the hallway but she didn't join them just yet, "so what's the special occasion guys? You only invite us over when there's something wrong, or you've got important news" hailey joked and they all laughed. Rose braced herself before walking out to join them, "surprise?" She shouted in an unsure tone. Jay had put down Owen by now and Will was standing next to him, they both smiled with a wide grin before they walked over to rose and stood behind her, "surprise" the both chimed at the same time copying what rose said but in a more cheery tone.
Hailey and Natalie sat there with confusion plastered all over their faces, it was silent before the three halsteads laughed and walked over to them on the couch. "Hailey, nat, you remember rose right?" Jay said in a happy mood. "Yeah, from med" Natalie answered, "yeah, Rose Sanchez right?" Hailey said smiling at the teenager stood in front of jay. Rose looked up smirking at jay before he answered her, "nope". Hailey was even more confused now because last time she checked that was her name, "no...?" She said back with her eyebrows moving all over the place. Rose giggled before correcting her, "Rose Halstead" she said with certainty. Natalie and Hailey looked at each other in complete and utter shock, they expected something good but not this good.
"Halstead?!" Hailey said back smiling and her eyes glistening. "You bet, official as of today." Will said proudly. "So there's another one?!" Natalie raised her voice in shock. They all laughed at their confusion, rose scooted around the coffee table and sat in between hailey and nat on the couch, "there's another one, and she's right here" she giggled clearly finding herself funny. "You know what I don't know how I didn't notice earlier, I'm gonna call you Jay junior" hailey joked before pulling rose into a hug. Rose smiled at the caring people she was surrounded by, shes one lucky girl. "Jay junior?" Rose laughed and looked up at hailey kind of confused. "Yeah you're like his twin, look. The eyes, the hair, the freckles, everything!" Hailey cleared her confusion up and pulled rose into a tighter hug and just left her arm around her shoulder. "Yeah I see it" rose laughed back. "She got given the good genes, sorry will" jay joked before putting his hands out to say 'look at me'. They all laughed for a minute before the pizza guy knocked on the door, their dinner had arrived.
Jay paid the man and fetched the pizza over to the table before opening the boxes and letting the girls grab the first slices, "mmmmmm" Rose sounded out as she took a bite out of the pizza. The boys just laughed and then got a slice themselves. "I haven't had pizza since like forever" she over exaggerated. Hailey and nat laughed, "oh so she's funny too?" Natalie said looking over to Will and jay. "Yeah, runs in the family" Will boasted at the compliment he put upon himself. They all laughed and joked around until they were done eating and it was time to watch a film, it was a big couch but it wasn't big enough to fit all six of them on, Rose decided she would sit on the floor with Owen since she got on really well with the toddler, she got up and let jay sit next to hailey and Will sit next to nat. "Hey buddy!" Rose said softening her voice down while she picked up Owen and walked over to the window while Will picked out a film.
"She's a good kid" hailey said quietly looking over to rose who was cradling Owen in her arms pointing to the cars and buildings outside. "Yeah she is isn't she, I just hope she settles into this safer life okay." Jay said doubting his ability to look after a teenager. "She's gonna be fine jay, she's got you" hailey reassured him. "Hey rose, the films starting" Will said as he held the remote up towards the TV. Rose slowly turned around to reveal Owen fast asleep in her arms, "how'd she do that?" Will whispered quietly in utter shock that she got him asleep so quickly. "Well you gotta get the kid interested in something first will, that usually helps" rose whispered back in her sassy tone. Jay snickered to himself, "you just got shown up by a teenager, how'd you feel" jay could contain his laughter but stayed quiet so he wouldn't wake woke up. "Shut up" will answered back clearly embarrassed but he still smirked at rose's humour.
The film played for around two hours and Owen had stayed asleep throughout the whole thing, he was sat on rose's knee leaning against her chest, "seriously though how'd she do that?" Hailey said impressed. "What? Keep the kid asleep?" Jay questioned while smiling at rose hugging the child. "Yeah..." hailey was intrigued. Jay whispered so only Hailey would hear, "she's been in youth groups and foster homes quite a few times before so she's grew up with babies her whole life. She's probably a pro or something, I'll explain her past some other time. We still don't really know much about her, we're working on it" he summed up. Hailey just nodded and mouthed 'ohhh' before smiling at rose again. The credits of the film had ended and they were sat in silence, the adults were sat watching rose comfort Owen, "think I might need to borrow her every night, she's better at it than me and I'm the mother" Natalie whispered and they all laughed quietly. "He's definitely out, here take him" rose said before handing Owen to will, he didn't really know what to do since he was awkward with kids so she placed him against his chest where Owen relaxed into his touch. They all just smiled as they watched will handle the child, he had never felt this calm while holding Owen before.
They sat and quietly talked for another hour or so, it was 11pm and will and nat decided it was best they get going and get the little guy to bed, jay however told Hailey she could stay a little while longer if she wanted to. Hailey accepted and she agreed to stay until 12:30am, only because of the new family member. "So what film are we watching now then?" Rose wondered as she took wills and nats place on the couch. "I don't know ask hailey, she can pick" jay said handing the remote to Bailey who was still next to him. Hailey scrolled through Netflix before offering a film, "escape room?", jay looked over to rose for her answer. "Definitely" Rose smiled. The film had been on for around 45 minutes and jay decided to ask them both who would be the best at an escape room, "I'd be the best no questions asked" hailey answered and laughed at his enquiry before turning her attention back to the film, "who betting Rose?" He said still looking at the TV, "Rose?" He said again when she didn't answer before looking to his left to see her asleep with her head rested on the back of the couch. "Hails, look" he whispered before moving his head out of the way so she could see the young girl fast asleep not even halfway into the film, "awh now that's precious, you got a blanket anywhere?" She said before carefully getting up. "Yeah on the table by the door" he said quietly before watching her get up to go get it, hailey walked around to the other side of the couch where Rose was sleeping and covered her with the blanket before sitting down next to jay again. "You gotta treasure these moments jay, she'll only get older from now" hailey said before patting his leg and looking back at the tv. "Yeah you're right" she said smiling and watching her sleep peacefully.
The film ended at around 1 am, a little later than hailey had expected but she didn't care, she was with her best friend and her new mini side kick. "I best get going, you need me to bring her anything to work tomorrow?" She said before putting on her coat, Rose was still sleeping on the couch. "Uh I'm not sure, I don't really know much about this girl malarkey. I think she's got enough clothes until I can take her shopping at the weekend so we should be good unless you know things I don't" he laughed but then quietened down when he realised she was sleeping. "No probs jay, I'll see if I can think of anything she might need when I get home. I'll let you know. See you tomorrow" she said before hugging him and leaving. He turned to look at Rose again, he thought about picking her up and taking her to her room but since she looked so comfy and peaceful lying on the couch he just left her there and made sure she was safe before he went to bed himself.