- Chapter 2 -

That night, as Serri curled up under her blanket in the back of the dark cave, a thunderstorm raged through the forest. Lightning lit up the cave opening, illuminating the horizontal rain outside.

Serri was comforted by the storm. Not only would it keep Brett from venturing out after her, it would also obliterate her tracks and her scent - should he use dogs to search for her.

Before dawn, Serri ate some of the jerky she'd packed, then gathered her supplies. She stood in the cave entrance for several minutes plotting her next move. The rain had finally stopped and the pine scent filled the air. She close her eyes and breathed deeply.

She had worked out her plan during the many sleepless nights spent lying next to Brett, worrying he'd wake up from his drunken stupor and continue where he left off before he'd passed out. He would often be too drunk to get anything accomplished but instead of blaming the booze, he blamed her. His slew of insulting names hurt as much as the impending slap across her face.

She knew that the situation had been escalating to the point of no return. She'd stayed to keep the family farm afloat but it was no longer worth it. She would do whatever it took to get away from him. Her plan was to travel west to the Mississippi River and buy passage on a boat headed north. The Dakotas sounded like a good place to buy some farmland. She'd managed to squirrel away some money, bit by bit, whenever Brett was too drunk to notice - which was quite often. He lost so much money gambling, he no longer bothered to keep track of it.

From their farm south of Louisville, Kentucky, she calculated it would take her about two weeks to make the 300-mile trek to the river. She would have to cover 20 miles a day, but she was motivated and in good shape from all the farm work.

Taking one more deep breath, she set out, due west, into the muddy forest, keeping her eyes and ears open.