- Chapter 8 -

Late that afternoon, Serri stopped for a quick meal and a much-needed rest. As the wind picked up, she realized the blanket would be better used to keep her warm. She unwrapped her meager supplies and laid them out on the ground while she wrapped herself in the warm blanket.

As she bit into a biscuit, she took stock of her supplies. Noah had selfishly kept the lion's share of the food but at least he'd thrown her all the supplies she'd started with. They would have to do for now.

She'd buy more food in the next town. Noah had mentioned something about a town being within a day of where they'd stopped for the night. Of course, walking would make that a slower journey.

After she finished her meal, she settled back against a tree. As her eyelids slowly drifted shut, a loud sound caused them to fly open.

Serri sat stock still trying to figure out the cause and whereabouts of the sound.

Nothing but silence followed. She must have been hearing things.

Just as she settled back down, it happened again. This time with an eerie high-pitched noise added.

Serri got to her feet, letting the blanket drop to the ground, and walked in the direction she thought the sound came from.

She walked as quietly as possible, avoiding sticks and pinecones. When she reached a large group of trees, she leaned back against the fattest one and listened. A few minutes later the sound echoed around her, making her jump. She slowly peeked around the tree.

There, in a grove of overgrown, scraggly trees was a huge horse. It was snow-white with a black, very matted, mane and tail. As she studied the situation, Serri realized a rope around its neck had become tangled in some trees.

She could see the burns on the poor horse's neck where the rope had chafed as it struggled to free itself. The rope was knotted around the branches and trunks of at least two trees.

The unlucky horse was exhausted from the fight and could barely hold its head up. Serri knew she would have to act quickly yet carefully. She needed to keep the horse as calm as possible or it could panic and strangle itself.

First off, she needed to find the poor thing some water. She headed back to her supplies and grabbed her cooking pot. She remembered crossing a creek earlier and ran to find it.

Once she had filled the pot, she made her way back to the grove of trees. She looked around, trying to decide on the best path to the horse.

She wanted to enter the trees where the horse could see her so as not to surprise it. She carefully made her way through the trees and softly said, "Hello. Easy there. I have water for you."

The horse startled but was too tired to put up a fight. It watched her closely as she slowly made her way toward it. With a wary look in its eye, it watched her as she moved the pot closer.

When she got within a few feet, it tried to back away to no avail. She moved the pot closer to its muzzle and could see it show an interest. It let out a loud snort of air and shook its head. It carefully stretched its lips forward as it sniffed the water.

It was obvious to Serri that the horse hadn't had food or water for much too long. Now that she stood near it, she could see it was skin and bones. She wondered how and why it was trapped here in the first place.

The proud horse still had fire in its eyes but knew it needed help. As she moved the pot under its muzzle, it gratefully gulped the water.

"There now. That's much better, right?" Serri said gently. "Now all we need to do is get this rope off you."

After it finished the last of the water, Serri slowly set the pot on the ground and stood to face the horse. They looked at each other for a few minutes as Serri made soothing sounds. When she could see the horse was calming down, she carefully reached out her hand.

The horse thought about balking but let out a long breath and sniffed her hand instead. She slowly touched its nose and made her way up its long cheek toward its ear. When the horse seemed to accept her touch, she assessed the situation. The rope was frayed but still holding strong. It was too tight to lift over the horse's head. Serri realized she would need her knife.

"I'll be right back," she said as she slowly backed away.

Once out of the trees, she ran for her supplies and grabbed her knife. As she reentered the grove, she soothingly explained her plan to the horse.

"I'm going to cut the rope. It may pull a little but I'm going to need you to stay still."

The horse let out a snort and stomped a foot as Serri traced the path of the rope from the horse's neck to the nearest branch. When she found a good spot to cut, she slowly moved the knife blade across the rope, holding tightly to the part nearest the horse to keep it from chafing any further.

The rope was stronger than she expected, and it was taking longer than she'd hoped but each time she looked at the horse, it was calmly watching her as if it knew she was there to help.

With one last slice, the rope finally gave way and the horse was free. Serri expected it to bolt for the hills but it didn't. She laid down her knife while holding the rope and gently made her way to the horse. When she got within arm's length, she carefully reached out to pet its neck. She felt her way slowly toward the noose. When she got hold of it, she loosened up the slip knot bit by bit until she could pull the loose end of the rope through.

Now the horse was completely free, but it didn't move. Serri slowly backed away with the rope dangling in her hand. The horse watched her.

Concerned it was hurt, Serri studied the horse more closely. Its unkempt appearance and the fact that it had no shoes led her to believe it was wild. Perhaps somebody had tried to capture it and lost hold of the rope. But even if it belonged to a nearby ranch, the horse was now free to find its way home. Its legs looked good. She'd have to see it walk to know for sure.

Serri gathered up her knife and pot and walked out of the grove. When she turned around to check on the horse again, she was surprised to find it a few steps behind her. They stood staring at each other for a few seconds before Serri decided to walk toward the creek in hopes the horse would follow.

Sure enough, she could hear it behind her. She found her way back to the creek and stopped at its banks.

"Here you go, my friend," she said as she turned toward the horse.

It walked past her and dropped its muzzle into the cool water and drank for several seconds.

As it drank, Serri started back to her camp but soon heard footsteps again. She made it back to her supplies with the horse a few feet behind her the whole way.

"Well, I'm afraid I haven't any food you'd like," Serri laughed. "You're welcome to rest up with me, though."

Serri wrapped the blanket around herself and sat down against the tree. The sun was putting on a beautiful show as it set over the forest. She smiled at the horse as her eyelids slowly closed.

The horse began grazing on any grass it could find and when it was sated, it walked back to the tree and watched over Serri as she slept.