- Chapter 12 -

Serri was up with the sun and excited to start her day. For starters, Jake had graciously invited her to breakfast at the saloon. From there she planned on visiting the local mercantile for more supplies. Her cash was holding up, but she would have to be frugal nonetheless.

As she made her way to the saloon, she caught sight of Joe leading Percy out of his stall. Looks like it was time for some hoof trimming. Everything was falling into place.

Little did Serri know that as she walked to the saloon, smiling at her good fortune, Noah was watching her from the edge of the forest with a smile of his own. A very sinister one.

Noah was happy that he had befriended Eric. His eavesdropping skills were impeccable. It was going to be a very lucrative friendship. While he counted his earnings in his head, he looked over at Eric, hidden behind the stables. He was waiting for his chance to relieve Joe of Percy. Everything was falling into place.

Jake had a beautiful spread laid out on the bar. Eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes, with a bowl of thick gravy to slather over everything. Serri clapped in delight, then pulled up a stool and dug in. Jake smiled broadly, then sat down next to her to follow suit.

Just as they were finishing, a ruckus started outside. Jake excused himself and walked to the window. He couldn't believe his eyes. There was Joe, brandishing a pitchfork as he chased that guy Noah had been sitting with in the bar last night.

Serri joined Jake at the window and watched in astonishment as Joe treed the man while waving a pitchfork and cussing.

"What's going on?" Serri asked.

"Let's go find out," said Jake as he walked to the door and held it open for Serri.

Right after they arrived at the scene, the sheriff walked up behind them.

"What'll be the charge?" the sheriff asked Joe, matter-of-factly, as he spat some chew on the ground.

"This here fella was fixin' to steal Miss Serri's horse," snarled Joe, as he jabbed his pitchfork toward Eric.

"Well, that'll never do," sighed the sheriff. "Come on down. Let's get you booked into the jail. We don't take kindly to horse thieves around these parts."

"Well, then you better be arresting her," yelled Eric, pointing angrily at Serri. "I was just tryin' to return stolen property to Mr. Cole, the rightful owner of that colt."

Serri gasped in shock.

"Okay. Okay. Everyone settle down," said the sheriff. "Come on down here and explain yourself."

As soon as Eric was on the ground, the questions and accusations started flying.

The who, what, where, and why were all discussed. Percy was brought over to be inspected. Lots of chin scratching and finger pointing occurred.

"Well, bottom line is, I don't see a brand of any kind," stated the sheriff. "We're going to have to summon Mr. Cole to come testify to ownership and, frankly, bring some proof."

Noah watched from his spot at the edge of the woods. He didn't like the turn this was taking. For all he knew, Serri would be locked up in jail. He had other plans for her.

The sheriff sent a deputy to the Cole Ranch while he made sure Percy was put under lock and key in the stable. Eric was escorted to a jail cell in case his story was false and he was a would-be horse thief. Serri returned to her hotel to wait, while Jake went back to the saloon. A sullen mood had settled over the group.

When everyone was out of sight, Noah snuck into the stable to check out the lock on Percy's stall. Ha. Piece of cake. He'd be back after dark with his tools and have the horse out of there in no time. But first he had to lure Serri out of the hotel and get her into his wagon. He'd make sure she was tied up for hours.

Wouldn't everyone be shocked to think that that sweet young thing was a ruthless thief who had the gall to sneak off in the middle of the night with her stolen merchandise.

Revenge was going to be so sweet.