- Chapter 24 -

Serri slowly turned her head toward the ominous sound. Not two feet from her shoulder was a coiled rattlesnake. She held her breath as she tried to figure out how to get out of this mess.

Before she could come up with a workable plan, she saw Donald galloping toward her. The nearer he got the louder the rattle became. Serri held out her hand to signal Donald to stop, but he kept coming. Just before he reached her, the panicked snake struck. After sinking its fangs into Serri's shoulder, it disappeared into the brush.

Serri screamed as Donald's horse reared above her. Suddenly, Donald flew off the back of his horse. The momentum swung his horse around, barely missing Serri.

When the dust cleared, Serri could see Donald laying on the ground a few feet from her. An arrow was sticking out of his right shoulder. He moaned and tried to sit up but fell back again.

Serri felt herself getting weaker. When she heard hoofbeats galloping toward them, she tried to turn her head to see if it was Percy when everything went black.

She awoke to a crackling fire surrounded by darkness. She tried to sit up then everything went black again.

The next time she stirred it was because someone was saying her name. She tried to open her eyes, but everything was hazy. She felt an arm slide under her shoulders and gently lift her. A cup of cool water was put against her parched lips. She took a small sip.

She tried to talk, but her speech was garbled. She was so tired. She decided to try again later and fell back to sleep.

The morning sun felt good on her skin as she slowly opened her eyes. After blinking several times, she could finally focus. Black Feather was leaning over her with a concerned look on his face.

"How are you feeling?"

"Umm, not, umm. What . . . what happened? Where are we?"

"You were bitten by a rattlesnake. I brought you to my camp and made a poultice of medicinal leaves and red mud to put on the bite. You've been fighting a fever, so please chew on this willow bark. It will help with the fever and the pain."

Serri blinked a few more times, as her eyebrows formed a V.

"How long ago did it happen?" she asked.

"Three days."

Serri tried to sit upright. Black Feather reached out to support her back.

"What? Three? Where's Percy?"

"He is safe. He gets along very well with Raven. Here, please chew on this," he said as he handed her the willow bark.

As she chewed, Serri's eyebrows knit themselves together again.

"What happened to Donald?"

"After I took care of you, I returned to check on him. He was still unconscious - right where we left him. So, I pulled my arrow out, laid him over his saddle, and led his horse to the outskirts of town. I knew I would not be warmly received, so I gave his horse a slap on the haunches and he took it from there."

"That was very kind of you."

They stared at each other for several seconds then Black Feather abruptly stood and walked away.

Serri watched him until exhaustion seeped back in. She curled into a ball and was soon fast asleep.

Much later, she woke with a start. She'd been having a nightmare about being surrounded by dozens of rattlesnakes.

It was pitch dark except for the small circle of light from the campfire. Serri was breathing heavily as she looked for Black Feather. He was nowhere to be seen. Had he left? She sat up and craned her head around.

Suddenly a hand touched her shoulder from behind. She let out a startled gasp and twisted away. As she tried to stand, two strong arms wrapped around her, pulling her down and thwarting her escape.

"It's me. You're okay," Black Feather's soothing voice whispered in her ear as he pressed his cheek against hers. He sat back and pulled her into his lap.

Serri relaxed in his arms and let her head fall back against his shoulder.

"I had a horrible nightmare. There were snakes."

Black Feather chuckled.

"It's not funny," Serri scolded as she pulled away from him.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he said as he pulled her even closer.

They sat in silence for several minutes until Serri said, "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too."

Serri turned and snuggled into his chest. She fell asleep with Black Feather gently stroking her hair.