- Chapter 28 -

Serri groped along the cave wall. The further she walked into the tunnel, the darker it became. Right after they'd found the cave, she had snuck out to pull some grass for Percy and left him a few yards inside the entrance to eat his meal. She put a large rock on the end of one of his reins to induce him into staying put.

The cave got narrower and narrower the deeper Serri explored. It was chilly and damp. She shivered as she carefully moved on. Soon she could hear water trickling around her and judging from the echo, the narrow tunnel seemed to have opened into an amphitheater.

She stopped to get her bearings. Suddenly, a strong hand clamped over her mouth. She tried to elbow her assailant, but they were too fast. She felt herself being swung around and completely engulfed in two strong arms. As she tried to identify her captor, soft, insistent lips met hers. A tongue swept over her teeth as long fingers entangled themselves in her hair and pushed her head closer. She couldn't breathe but didn't care.

The two of them slowly melted toward the cave floor. It was soft and damp against Serri's back. She felt determined fingers unapologetically undoing her blouse as their breathing became ragged.

"What took you so long?" she breathed.

"I got here as fast as I could," Black Feather whispered in a husky voice. "I was worried about you."

Serri grabbed his face and kissed him urgently as his hand found its way down her leg. He was stymied by her pants, but Serri took over, pulling hers off, then working on his.

Soon they were both naked and shivering, exploring every inch of each other's bodies in the total darkness.

Black Feather knew all the right ways to caress her. Serri found herself moaning and raising her hips to meet his touch. This was a new sensation for her after enduring Brett's rough touch and hurried, selfish lovemaking.

Black Feather was soon moaning along with her as she ran her hands over his muscular buttocks and slowly made her way along his hips to his epicenter.

As she gently caressed him, he let out a growl and pushed her legs apart with his knee. She met his powerful thrust with raised hips as she forced him in deeper.

They lost themselves in the pleasure and building urgency. The pace got faster and faster as they neared the ecstasy they knew was coming. With a final lunge, they froze in place for a millisecond. It ended when they both exhaled deeply and collapsed into each other.

Despite the cool temperature, they were both covered in a sheen of sweat. Black Feather licked Serri's neck from her shoulder to the top of her ear. She felt a tingle from head to toe and hugged him closer while her hands wound themselves through his long hair.

"I could stay like this forever, but we have to check on the horses and make sure we've fooled the posse," whispered Black Feather as he continued to nuzzle Serri's neck.

She moaned appreciatively and nodded in agreement. They got up and groped around for their clothes. Once dressed, they made their way back toward the entrance.

As they got nearer the entrance, the cave became illuminated, but the horses were nowhere to be seen.

In a panic, Serri hurried the pace. As they rounded a final rock outcropping, there stood Raven and Percy face to face against the cave wall, calmly nuzzling each other's necks.

Black Feather let out a sigh and turned to Serri with his finger laid against his lips. She nodded as they both crouched down and crept silently toward the cave opening.

Pushing the foliage aside, Black Feather peeked right and left. Nothing. He grabbed Serri's hand and led her back into the cave. After he felt they were safe, he turned toward her and put his hands on each side of her face.

"We have a big decision to make," he started. "We can hope the horses stay calm and quiet if we bed down in the cave tonight or we can make a run for it right now and hope the posse is looking the other way."

Serri stared silently into his eyes for a little longer than she intended to. When she couldn't take it anymore, she slowly raised herself on tippy toes and held her lips millimeters from his. His breath caught in his throat as she kissed him longingly.

Decision made. He had her up against the cave wall within seconds, as one hand found her breast and the other shielded the back of her head from the rough rocks.

Later, as they lay curled together under a blanket, a wolf howled in the distance. Black Feather smiled as he fell asleep with Serri safe and warm in his arms.