- Chapter 9 -

Serri woke with a start as a flash of lightning lit up the forest. The loud thunderclap that followed woke her completely. Huge raindrops began falling from the dark sky. Serri groaned as she curled into a ball and pulled the blanket tighter. She could feel the water begin to penetrate it.

Reluctantly, she got to her feet and huddled against the trunk of the tree. The branches kept most of the rain off.

The white horse was nowhere to be seen. Hopefully it was safely back in its stable - dry and warm.

She let out a long sigh and tried to figure out what time it was, that's when she heard a low, ominous growl.

As she turned her head and squinted into the darkness, another lightning strike illuminated the area. There, not 10 feet away, stood a huge mountain lion. Its eyes were trained on her as it slowly bent itself into a pouncing position.

Serri slid back behind the tree, hoping it would block the big cat's attack. Just when she was sure the cat had made its way to her side; she heard a loud commotion - grunts, shrieks, stomping, then silence. Serri cautiously peeked around the tree.

She could make out a large form in the darkness, and with the next lightning strike, she realized it was the horse. He was boldly standing his ground as the mountain lion scurried off in the opposite direction.

"You're still here. I think you just saved my life."

Serri walked to the horse as the sky began to lighten around them.

She reached out to pet his neck and he turned to nuzzle her hand. Before long, Serri was hugging his huge neck.

"Thank you," she whispered.

Fearing the big cat's return, Serri shook the water off her supplies and wrapped them into the blanket.

"Let's get to the nearest town. I could use some hot food and a bath, and I'm betting you could use a warm stable and some hay."

After a final check for the mountain lion, Serri turned and began walking westward. Her new companion on her heels. She hoped the stallion would be strong enough to carry her in a few days. They'd make much better time. Until then, they'd get to know each other better. So far, Serri liked what she saw, and it appeared the feeling was mutual.