- Chapter 16 -

Serri weighed her options as she forced herself to get over the shock of seeing Brett again. She wished he wasn't holding Percy's reins. Just then she had an idea. She'd try the element of surprise and throw a little reverse psychology in.

"Brett! I'm so happy to see you," she gushed with a huge smile. "I've missed you terribly. I was so wrong to leave. Can you ever forgive me?"

Brett's eyes got wide as he hemmed and hawed.

"I'm so lucky you came to find me," Serri continued. "I can't face this scary world without you."

"You better be sorry," Brett stated firmly. "I lost the farm cuz of you. Nothin' was goin' right. I couldn't pay the bills. You owe me."

"I do owe you," said Serri with a frown. "I'm so sorry. What you must have been through."

"Damn right. But, bein' smart, I figured out exactly where you'd head. I couldn't believe my luck when you waltzed right past me just now."

"Let's go find a hotel," said Serri as she held out her hand for Percy's reins.

"What's that in your hand?" asked Brett as he snatched her ticket away. "Oh, I see. St. Paul, huh? Sure looks like you were really missin' me."

Brett grabbed Serri roughly by the arm, pulling her toward him.

"Let's you and me go buy another ticket to St. Paul. I ain't got no use for Kentucky now that my farm is gone."

He led Serri up the stairs and into the ticket office. The man with the wire glasses looked up with a smile.

"Back again, Ma'am? I hope there isn't a problem with your ticket."

"Oh, no. There ain't no problem," said Brett. "I'm here to buy me a ticket. Cuz that's what devoted husbands do. I can't have my loving wife traveling all alone in this big, scary world." He flashed a phony smile as he stared daggers at Serri.

"Why, umm, of course," stammered the clerk as he drew up another ticket.

As soon as Brett paid for his ticket, he marched the two of them back outside. Yanking Serri along by the arm, he grabbed Percy's reins and pulled him around sharply. After letting out a long breath, he pulled Serri's arm until their faces were inches apart.

"I'm not letting either one of you out of my sight," he sneered.

He started up the road, holding Serri with one hand and Percy with the other.

"We have some catching up to do, my dear," he snarled. "My hotel is just up the road a piece. We'll have us a right fine time tonight."

"Wait, Brett. Let's get a drink first."

The saloon they were passing had its doors wide open. They could hear music and voices. Serri knew Brett would have a hard time saying no to that.

"I'm buying," Serri said with a seductive smile. "We have a lot to celebrate, with our happy reunion and all."

"Well, maybe just one."

Serri kept the rounds coming. She knew it was winnowing down her funds but if she could get Brett drunk enough, she might be able to find a way out of this mess.

Brett got ugly when he drank and there were several other tough guys in the bar who looked like they were hankering for a good ol' fashioned brawl.

After their sixth round, most of which ended up being doubles for Brett since Serri poured hers into his glass when he wasn't looking, things were getting interesting.

Serri could see his eyes glazing over, so she made her move. While pretending to give him a suggestive hug, she roamed his pockets in search of his ticket. Bingo!

She carefully removed it from his possession. Then she pretended to take a big swig of whisky but instead, tossed it on the grumpy looking cowboy at the next table.

"Brett, why would you do that? I don't care if you don't like his looks. That was rude," she shouted indignantly.

The wet, angry man stood up slowly. He was brawny and well over six feet tall. As he slowly turned toward Brett, Serri pushed herself back from the table.

Brett was clearly confused about what was going on, even more so after the huge man picked him up by the collar. He reflexively started flailing his arms, trying to get the guy's hands off his shirt. Unfortunately, in his drunken state, he ended up smacking the guy in the face.

That's when all hell broke loose.

As chair legs started screeching against the floorboards, Serri wasted no time getting out the door. She jumped onto the waiting Percy and wheeled him toward the docks. They would hide out there until morning. Hopefully Brett would soon be behind bars or too busy running from the angry cowboy to follow them. Either way, he'd be fighting a horrible hangover in the morning.