Chapter 48

Fear, horror, trepidation, anxiety

Fear, horror, trepidation, anxiety. It causes people to do the unthinkable, such as create a large hunter's alliance to get rid of the supernatural population in Beacon Hills. Fear can be paralyzing or it can wake you up, cause you to fight back. Unfortunately for Gerard, Monroe, and their hunters, we too feel fear; we experience it every day like everyone else. What sets us apart from the majority is that we always fight back.

My eyes flicker back and forth, keeping my gaze fixed on the view outside of Theo's truck. Liam, Theo, and I are on our way to an abandoned zoo per the request of Liam. The ride remains silent, an obvious tension between the two. My phone rings, breaking the silence. I pull it out to see Scott's contact. I'm quick to answer it, pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey Scott, what's up?" I mutter, keeping my voice low.

I can hear him clear his throat on the other end, "I just wanted to go over the plan with you to make sure we've got it down. You're on your way, right?"

"Yeah, we're about two minutes out. Mason is a couple of miles behind us, and Nolan took the bait almost immediately. Are you guys sure you're going to be okay?" I ask, chewing on my lip nervously.

I can make out Malia's voice in the background as he responds, "Yeah, we'll be fine. We've got the three of us and Argent is going to come with us now. I need you to do me a favor, okay? I need you to take care of Liam and Theo. Take care of each other. Gerard is probably going to send most of his men there, so please stay safe."

A ghost of a smile raises on my lips, "Babysitting duty, you've got it. I'll take care of the kids. You guys, be safe too."

"Will do, bye."

I let my phone fall into my lap, looking up to see Theo glaring at me from the driver's seat, "We don't need a babysitter."

I roll my eyes at him, "Coming from the person who almost killed Scott, and Liam, who has anger issues, I beg to differ."

While the two collectively sigh, they don't object to my point. We pull in front of the zoo which has now become a dilapidated and barren place covered in a variety of colorful graffiti. Not a minute later, I hear another car arrive.

The three of us get out of the truck to see Mason put the car in park. We meet him around front, and while Theo grabs some of the camping gear, Liam and I lean in to talk to Mason.

Liam's gaze is apprehensive as his gaze darts back and forth, "Hey. How close is he?"

Mason bumps my arm lightly, pulling my gaze from the road to him, "He's back down the road. Don't look... Should I come with you guys?"

"No," I shake my head fervently. The apprehension and fear are most likely clear on my face, "His friends shoot to kill."

Theo nods his head, handing me a sleeping back, "Go home."