Chaper 6

I wake up early, so I can get ready for the test

I wake up early, so I can get ready for the test. I shower and dry off before getting dressed in black skinny jeans, a grey cropped tight shirt, with an oversized red and black flannel, with black heeled laced booties. I then curl my hair and do my makeup. After I am finished getting ready, I meet Stiles downstairs, where he insists we are taking his jeep. The ride is short and soon am standing in line outside the classroom with the others, getting ready to take the test.
Kira looks around,"Where's Lydia?" She asks.
"She took it her freshman year," Stiles replied.
"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asks in an annoyed tone, and I agree with her, it's shitty timing. We have too much to worry about, but this should be at the top of the list like the other normal juniors.
"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us," Scott says, reassuring her.
Malia frowns,"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good," she retaliates.
"Well." I mutter.
She looks at me frowning,"Well what?"
"It's do well, not do good," I correct her.
"Oh, God," she snaps.
"Ok, ok. You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college, a good college," Scott says wisely.
"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours," Kira adds.
When we enter the classroom, we put our finger print on the front page, then Lydia's mom collects our phones.
"Cell phones in the envelope, Scott. You'll get it back after the test," I hear her say. I then put my phone in the envelope after Scott and sit down in the desk next to Stiles, who had already opened the booklet.
"Please do not open the test booklet until
you are instructed to do so." The weird man in the says, causing Stiles to quickly close it, then sitting back and trying to act casual.
"The test is 2 hours and ten minutes. There will be two 25 minute critical reading sections, two 25 minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes." I inwardly groan, it won't be that bad, but I don't even want to take it. "There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." He says to Lydia's mom.
"I know. It's Coach. He's not always punctual. Um, let me just try him again." She says while pulling out her phone and walking into the hallway.
A few minutes later, she comes back in, shaking her head. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers, do you want me to try him?" She asks quietly.
"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break." The strange man explains. He then clicks his watch and looks back up at us,"You may now open your test booklets and begin." He announces, voice filled with fake enthusiasm.
I quickly open mine and scan over the questions, after realizing these weren't too hard, I began to fill in my answers as fast as I could.
After a few minutes had gone by, I hear gasp and a thumping noise, causing me to turn around. I look back and see Sydney, a nice girl in my grade on the ground. Ms. Martin sees it and quickly runs over. "Sydney!"
"Are you alright?" Ms. Martin asks as she helps Sydney.
"I'm ok, I just got kind of dizzy," she explains calmly, standing up to her full height.
Mrs. Martin looks down at Sydney's wrist frowning,"How long have you had this?" She asks causing me to look up and see a nasty rash forming.
She looks down at her wrist, eyebrows raising in confusion,"I-I don't know." she admits.
"Ms. Martin, do I need to stop the test?" the man in front asks.
"No, um, it's fine." She replies nervously before walking back to the front of the room.
"Everybody stay in your seats. I'll, um, be back in a minute." She says seeming like she was trying to stay calm.
"Nobody leaves the room." She mutters to the guy before grabbing her phone, and leaving the room.
Not even a few minutes later, I head someone from the hall about,"Get back! Do not come in here! Get back outside!" We quickly get out of our desks and walk towards the door, pulling it open to see a frantic Ms. Martin yelling at some basketball players. She locks the door and leans her back on it.
"Back to your seats, now... Please.."
We all nod and hurry into the classroom, sitting back down in our desks, very confused about what was happening.
Scott turns to us nervously,"Why would she be calling the CDC?"
Within a half an hour, there were people in yellow hazmat suits with masks on, walking into the school. She locks the door and leans her back on it.
They quickly began setting up all their stuff, including hospital beds, containment areas, pretty much the whole nine yards. Lastly they cover all the window, cutting off any connection of us to the outside world. I would be lying if I said I was't freaking out.
I am now in a little pod of desks with Stiles, Kira, and Malia, trying to waste time.
"I bet they think it's small pox," Stiles whispers quite loudly.
"Not likely," the sketchy guy says, catching our attention. "Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was rinderpest. It killed cows."
"So we should be comforted by that, right?" I ask.
"Unless it's something worse," he says causing my eyes to widen. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I refuse to die in school.
"Whatever it is, they're taking it really seriously. There's a lot of cars and trucks out there," Malia says frowning. I nod along with her, when my vision starts to blur a little. I close my eyes tight, and when I open them, they're back to normal. Hopefully that was just nothing.
"Your dad's with them," she says to us.
Stiles nods and stands up,"Yeah, I should probably call him." He says while standing up and walking to the front desk. He begins sifting through the box of envelopes, containing everyone's phone.
"Don't bother," the guy says causing the attention to once again be brought to him,"They would have shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no WiFi. No one starting a panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens."
I frown realizing something, Jordan's probably out there, and I can't tell him I'm ok. Or our dad, we're all he has left. Will Stiles be ok? Will I be ok?
"Noelle?" I hear someone say causing me to look up from the floor.
It was Stiles,"What's up?" I ask.
He frowns and faces me away from the exam guy,"Noelle, your eyes are glowing."
I close my eyes and blink a couple of time, trying to get it to go away, when an intense pain came over me, I began to feel really hot, kind of like I had a really bad fever. A small layer of sweat began to cover me. "Stiles, we need to find Scott, something's happening."
He puts one of my arms over his shoulder and together, we begin roaming the halls looking for Scott. After we turn the corner towards the locker room, we run into Mr. Yukimura.
"I've been looking for you guys, something's wrong with Scott." He says.
I nod,"Yeah, I know, we've been looking for him."
Mr. Yukimura leads us to the locker room. Stiles sets me down on the bench beside Scott, who looks to be in the same condition as me. Kira and Malia enter, Malia also not looking very good.
"It's still happening," he says referring to Scott's flashing red eyes.
I stand up to join the circle as Malia lifts up her claws for everyone to see,"I can't make them go back," she says.
"Obviously the virus if affecting the three of you in a way it won't hit any human being," Mr. Yukimura explains.
"You guys have to stay out of sight. We have to quarantine you, from the quarantine," Stiles suggests.
"Yeah, but where? I mean, what if Scott and Malia get violent? Like on a full moon," Kira asks.
"We shouldn't stay in here. Not in the locker room." Scott says.
"A classroom isn't going to hold us," Malia adds.
"What about the basement?" I ask.
"Too many ways out. We need something secure. Somewhere nobody can find us." Scott says.
"The vault. The Hale vault," Stiles suggests.
"The Hales always have an escape route, like their house. There has to be another way in."Scott adds.
We all go to Mr. Yukimura's room as he pulls out a map and sets it on the table. "This is where the school sign is, so the vaults got to be right about here." Stiles says, pointing to an area on the map.
"I suppose if there's a second entrance, it would probably be accessible from then basement." Mr. Yukimura says as I wrap my flannel tighter around myself feeling the effects of whatever virus this is, get worse.
"It's probably somewhere in this hallway. West corridor," Stiles says before beginning to fall over, catching himself on the desk,"Whoa."
He pulls up his sleeve to see a rash thing, similar to Sydney's on his arm.
"It's happening to you too. You're getting sick, you all are," Mr Yukimura explains.
"I don't feel sick," Kira says.
"I think it's affecting you differently, neurologically. I found your test answers here in a pile with the others." He says while showing Kira her test answers, which seemed to be way off, seeing as all the circles were filled in outside of the lines.
He then looks over at me,"You guys better keep an eye on her though, she seems to be in the most danger for this thing." He says causing me to frown.
"Why?" I ask.
"Because, given your abilities, you're able to connect to the people in the pack to help them heal by taking some of their pain. So now you are doing that to these guys, while being infected yourself. " he explains.
After that, we head downstairs to try and find the vault. We began looking around all over.
"Hey guys, over here," Stiles calls to us.
We walk over to where he's standing. Him and Scott move the shelf to reveal the same little circle key thing that is on the school sign.
"Look at the cracks in the wall. It's like the entrance outside, it only opens with claws. Anyone's claws right," Stiles asks.
Scott gives him a look shaking his head slightly, and I then knew that only a Hale could open the vault. We have a Hale, but the problem is she doesn't know that yet.
"Um Malia can you try?" Scott asks her.
"Why me?" She asks.
"I don't have control," Scott lies while holding up his clawless hands.
"Okay, I'll do it, but first tell me what you've been hiding from me... I know you think you're trying to protect me, but I can handle it." She says bravely causing us all to sigh, not really knowing what to do.
"I know I'm on the list," she says after a while.
"Yes.." Stiles says sounding relieved that we don't have to tell her the truth.
"So how much?" She asks.
"How much what?"
"How much am I worth?" She asks firmly.
"Four million," Scott replies.
"Are you ok?"Stiles asks her.
"Yeah, Noelle's worth 35, Scott 25, and Kira 6. They'll take you guys out way before me," she says making me roll my eyes in annoyance.
"It's progress," Stiles mutters.
She then walks up to the vault key, and unlocks it, the door slowly moving open revealing the large vault. We all step inside as it closes behind us.
We all try and get a bit comfortable,
I sit leaned against a wall a few feet from Stiles, as Kira paces, Scott sits, and Malia lays on Stiles' lap.
"This is where it all started, you know? That's where the money was." He says pointing to the vault. "117 million in bearer bonds."
How do you even change bearer bonds into cash?" Kira asks.
"The bank, I guess. They just let it sit here the whole time collecting dust. You know bearer bonds are basically extinct?" Stiles asks.
"Why does it matter?"
You know how many problems that money could solve?" Stiles asks.
"For you?" Kira asks back, siting down.
"Us, our Dad. The Eichen house and MRI bills are crushing him," I say.
"My Mom does this thing, she writes down all the items in our budget, how much they cost, then she adds them all up and figures out how long we have until... we lose the house." Scott confesses.
After that I lay down, feeling the fever continue to run through me, my body aching as I shiver and sweat periodically. The feeling is worse than any sickness I've ever had, and I couldn't help but feel unsure about how much longer I was going to make it.
"Noelle," I hear Stiles say.
I look up at him, using all my strength to sit up and look at him, my vision still blurry.
"Hey Stiles," I rasp out.
"How are you doing?" He asks.
"I'm alright," I lie.
"That's good, well I'm going to leave for a bit. Whatever's happening, it's worse for you guys. That means it's not just people getting sick, it's another assassin," he explains softly.
I nod with tears in my eyes knowing this may be the last time I see my brother,"I kind of figured that, just please...please be safe," I reply.
He nods,"I will, I love you," he says as he pull me into a hug.
"Love you too bro," I say before he pulls away and kisses my burning forehead and walks out.
I sigh as a few stray tears fall, I don't want to die, I don't want that to be the last I see of him, and I'm sure as hell sick of this dead pool. I lay back down on the ground and close my eyes once again, feeling the fever and pain course through me.
After what seemed like 20 minutes, I woke up to someone calling Malia's name. I sat up and opened my eyes, only to see nothing, it was like it was pitch black in the room.
"Scott?" I ask
"I can't see," I hear Malia say.
"Scott, I can't see either," I say frantically grasping onto anything trying to feel my way around.
"Neither can I," I hear Kira say.
"What's happening to us," I hear Malia ask.
I grip whatever I am close to as my fever get worse, my body feels so hot, but I am freezing.
"We're gonna die aren't we?" I ask, my voice full of fear.
I try to keep my eyes open, but the exhaustion overriding my body just keeps getting worse, and I know that if I fall asleep I may never wake up, seeing as it is getting increasingly harder to breathe. After fighting a while longer I let my eyes close knowing that I couldn't do it any longer, the last thing I hear is Stiles yelling.
I wake up to a strange smell overpowering my senses, and I take in a deep breath as the effects of the virus start to go away. I open my eyes, and I can see everything again. I look over and see Stiles walking towards me as I slowly stood up and walked over to him, and wrap my arms around him.
When I pull away I frown in confusion, seeing blood on his shirt,"What happened, are you ok?" I ask.
"Yeah it's not my blood, Scott's dad saved me by shooting that exam guy, he was the one who poisoned us," he explains.
He looks over at Malia, then back at me, causing me to roll my eyes,"Go, you love sick idiot."
He nods and walks over to her, and tries to talk to her, but she walks away from him. Stiles looks down at a  paper on the floor, shit she saw the dead pool.
I let out a sigh,"I'll find you guys later, there's something I need to do," I say quickly.
I hurried my way up the stairs, eager to find Jordan. I then made my way outside, after not seeing him inside. I look around and all I see is a bunch of parents meeting with their children and the CDC people packing up their stuff, I let out a sigh, maybe he left, or wasn't here to begin with.
"Noelle!" I hear someone call.
I turn around and see Jordan making his way quickly through the crowd in his usual police uniform, a look of relief adorning his face. A smile grows on mine as I run over to him, practically jumping in his arms. He wraps his arms quickly around me and I can feel his heart pounding in his chest.
"Thank God," I hear him whisper.
After a while of just staying like that we pull away, and he sets me back on the ground.
His eyes scan over me,"You still look a little pale, are you alright?" He asks.
"Yeah, I was sick for a while, but it kind of went away after a while," I reply.
"I was so worried, and I couldn't reach you at all. They thought it could be a variant of small pox, and I-"
I put my hands on either side of his face,"I'm ok... I'm sorry I couldn't call you, they told us that they cut all communication to the outside so we wouldn't cause a panic." I explain.
"I know, it's ok. I'm just glad you're alright." He says seeming to have calmed down. He leans down and presses his lips to mine, once again sending fireworks to go off in my stomach as our lips moved together in sinc. We soon had to pull away seeing we were out of breath.
"I should find my dad, have you seen him?" I ask.
"I haven't in a while, but I'll help you find him," he replies.
I nod, and we walk back towards the school to find him. We didn't see him anywhere outside, so we went inside, which was a good thing seeing as I needed to grab my phone too. We walked in the door and I saw him talking to one of the CDC people.
"Have any of your people seen my daughter?" He asks.
"Dad!" I call out to him.
He turned around and came over pulling me into a hug.
When he pulls away he looks at me with his fatherly frown of concern,"How are you doing? Stiles told me what happened to you guys," he asks.
"I'm alright, just really tired, but I have a huge amount of respect to the blind people, that was aweful," I say quietly enough so Jordan wouldn't hear me, I'm not exactly sure when I should cue him in on all of the supernatural stuff.
He lets out a chuckle,"Well Stiles already left, so Parrish, could you take her home?" He asks.
Jordan who stood a few feet behind us trying to look busy, looks up,"Of course."
I nod and say goodbye to my dad before turning to Jordan,"I just have to get my phone from the test room," I say.
He nods and turns to follow me, as I walk into the room, over to a box of Manila envelopes, which were all empty except for one. I grab my phone, then we head to Jordan's squad car, and soon he's pulling in my driveway.
He parks his car and turns to me,"Ok, if I see you tomorrow, I don't want you to have been in trouble from this dead pool," he says seriously.
I nod and peck him on the lips,"I try my best, bye Jordan." I say after I pull away.
He rolls his eyes shooting me a smile,"Bye El
I raise my eyebrows,"El?"
He frowns,"Is that ok? Can I call you that?"
I shoot him a smile,"Of course you can, its just, nobody's called me that before." I reply.
"Nobody but me." He says smiling.
"Nobody but you," I say shooting him a smile back before leaving his car and going inside. I head to my room, feeling the exhaustion of having the virus come over me. I may have survived that, but it sure packed a punch.
****************************************
Thanks to everyone for reading, I hope you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun writing this chapter because I've always like how intense this episode is, and I hope I was able to portray that. Feel free to comment what you think and vote!
-S