Chapter 44

My breathing is deep as I run through the woods, dodging branches as I go

My breathing is deep as I run through the woods, dodging branches as I go. Scott is just a few feet in front of me, so I push myself to get closer to him. I can feel the anxiety radiating from his body.
"We kill them. We kill them all," my face visibly pales as I hear Gerards voice in my head. I've connected to Scott, and this is what is running through his mind. I continue to pursue him, my eyes no doubt glowing their usual silver.
I hear the screams of him when he was shot in the arm by Argent four years ago, it echoes through my mind as if I was actually there.
I let out a yelp as a branch hit me in the face. This time I hear Argent's voice clear as day, "Did you know that a caged, rabid dog will break its own teeth trying to chew through the bars?"
My heart lurches as I feel the pain and fear running through Scott's viens when he was hiding from the hunters.
"Something that out of control is better off dead." Argent's voice booms again.
A warm hand grabs my shoulder, I let out a gasp as my body goes rigid.
"We can still catch him," I hear Malia say as I turn to see her and Lydia.
Scott walks up beside me, a look of confusion washing over his features,"Catch who?"
"The killer. What are you two thinking about?"
Scott and I look at each other before I turn and reply,"Getting the bullet to Argent."
Malia frowns in concern,"Even if he's the one who fired it?"
"Especially if he's the one," Scott replies. Suddenly he frowns, looking around, "Do you hear that?"
"Heartbeats."
Scott's eyes widen, "A lot of them. They're here."
Lydia frowns in confusion, "Who?"
"Hunters."
As soon as he says that, I feel myself getting pulled back into his mind.
My heart beats loud as the adrenaline races quickly through my veins. I look down at my arm to see a bright red laser pointing at it. Soon, I watch as more lasers cover my body, the hunters are here for me. I take off in a dead sprint, but the hunters are right on my heels. I dodge through the trees as I feel my heart beat at a rate I did not know was possible.
I make an abrupt turn and trip over a large, dilapidated tree root that was covered by leaves. I fall to the ground with a thud, and immediately pull myself up to hide behind the tree. Tears well in my eyes as I pull my knees to my chest, they're coming closer... they're almost here. A light shines brightly in my eyes, causing me to screw them shut, pushing my back harder against the tree.
"Noelle!"
Someone grabs my shoulders, lightly shaking them, "Noelle, hey it's me."
I immediately recognize who's voice that is. I slowly open my own eyes and am met with Jordan's vibrant green ones, filled with concern. He reaches up and wipes the tears that had fallen from my face.
"What happened?"
Jordan frowns in concern,"Scott thought he was being chased by hunters, and accidently tackled your dad. Then I heard someone whimpering and it was you, and your eyes were glowing. Wanna tell me what you just saw?"
He pulls me up to my feet as I begin to explain, "I was stuck in Scott's head, he was being chased by hunters."
Jordan grabs onto my hand, lacing his fingers with mine, "Well I'm glad I found you then, I haven't seen you that scared in a long time... Come on, I'll take you to the others."

****

"I'm really sorry," Scott states as we stand over the body of the other Hellhound. "You don't think they saw anything, do you?"
Jordan lets out a sigh as he moves away from the man and over beside me, "No more than they're used to."
"You wanna tell me what happened here?" my dad asks, frowning deeply.
"He's a Hellhound."
"A dead Hellhound," Malia adds.
My dad rolls his eyes, "Yep, got that."
Fear fills my body as I look at the cold eyes of the fallen man and then to Jordan, "I don't get it, I thought you couldn't kill a Hellhound."
Malia's gaze moves to the dead stranger,"Looks a lot easier than we though."
My father looks over to Scott, "Got anything you want to add?"
"Yeah." Scott looks over at me, then down to his hands as his places the gun casing we found into his pocket. "I don't think it was just any bullet"
Jordan looks down at me, and I can see the fear in his eyes, mirroring my own concerns, "I hope not."