Chapter 14

My alarm goes off, marking the first day of senior year

My alarm goes off, marking the first day of senior year. I get out of bed tiredly and into the shower. After I dry off, I get dressed in some tight black skinny jeans with rips at the knees, a white long sleeve, loose, cut low with a criss-cross thing on the chest, and some heeled booties. I curl my hair like usual and quickly finish up in the bathroom. I then walk out to see Stiles sitting in my room.
"What's up, Stiles?" I ask.
"You're coming with me to see Dad, so we can convince him to look into Theo," he tells me before standing up and walking out.
I grab my bag, following him down the stairs. "And why do you need me for that?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.
He rolls his eyes, "Dad seems to listen to you better and Parrish will be there, how can you pass that up?" He replies.
"You got me there, but I'm driving too," I tell him before walking outside.
"Why? I can just drive the both of us," he asks.
"I'm sorry to say this, but we need a backup since Roscoe seems to be struggling lately. I'll meet you there," I tell him before getting into my own jeep. I drive to the station, a route I know like the back of my hand.
"I know his family left town around the time Theo was nine or ten, his older sister died in an accident when he was eight. " Stiles starts as we walk into Dad's office.
"Please go to school," he tells us.
"Dad, this kid's a werewolf," Stiles adds.
"Your best friend is a werewolf, you are dating a werecoyote. And Noelle, you are dating... something. I still don't know what Kira is. When the flying monkeys come soaring through this station, you will have my undivided attention. Until then, just go to school." He tells us.
I frown and observe him, something was different, "What did you do?" I ask him.
"What? What do you mean, 'what did I do'?" He asks thoroughly confused.
"There's something different about you," Stiles adds. He takes it a bit far by walking up and smelling and observing him, as our Dad backs away, weirded out. "What is it? What's different?"
"For the love of God, guys, just go to school."  He says pushing Stiles away from him.
"We will go if you promise to do a full background check of the Raekens." Stiles requests stubbornly.
"No. You know what? Just because I'm the only law enforcement officer who knows anything about this, does not make it my responsibility to do something every time you have a minor suspicion." he lectures us.
A smirk grows on my lips, "Except you're not the only one." I say motioning my head out the window to where my lovely boyfriend is sitting, frowning over some papers.
Our Dad rolls his eyes, "Fine, go talk to him."
"Okay," Stiles says.
I roll my eyes, "He means me, idiot."
"Oh yeah, right."
I walk out of his office and walk over to Jordan's desk, which seemed to have paperwork piled miles high. He doesn't see me at first as he lets out a sigh, rubbing his eyes.
"What's with the long face?" I ask with a smile, hoping to cheer him up.
He looks up, eyes lighting up when he sees me, which warms my heart, "Hey Elle."
I make my way around the desk to his side, his eyes following me the whole time. I wrap my arms around him, leaning my chest against his back, resting my chin on his shoulder. "What are you up to?" I ask.
He leans his head against mine, "The usual, everybody else's paperwork."
I let out a soft sigh, it's so hard for me to see him stuck here all the time. He tries to act happy when I visit him at work. Not that he's not happy to see me, but he misses it, he misses the action, the ability to help people firsthand.
"Why don't you take a break and help me run a background check on a family?" I ask still leaning on him.
"Anything to get me away from this paperwork." He replies smiling as I pull away.
He goes onto his computer, "What's their last name?" He asks.
"Raeken," I tell him, spelling it out.
"And what did this family do to deserve the wrath of the Stilinski siblings?" Jordan asks with a chuckle.
I roll my eyes and sit down next to him, "Remember what I told you when I called you last night? How that Theo guy saved us? Well after that he told us that he wants to join the pack, which is a bit weird to begin with. Then Scott talked to Deaton and he said that a beta of his pack could steal his power, so we're worried that's what Theo is trying to do. So work you cop magic and dig me up some dirt."
He nods, letting out a chuckle, and does some typing on the computer as I watch, after a minute he pulls up a page, "They're pretty much clean besides a speeding ticket... eight years ago." He tells me.
I let out a sigh, "I was afraid of that." I mutter while taking a picture of it and sending it to Stiles.
"I'm sorry," Jordan says.
I shake my head, shooting him a soft smile, "Don't be. I figured that was the case."
He glances at the screen and back at me, "Not that I don't love spending time with you, you'd better get going. You don't want to be late for your first day of senior year." He tells me.
I look over at the time, my eyes widening, "Crap, you're right. Thanks for warning me, I'll stop by again after school." I say, then quickly pecking him on the lips before heading out of the station.
I ended up making it on time, and I'm now sitting in AP Bio. This is one of the three classes I'm taking this year because I basically had enough credits to graduate last year, but I'd rather stay here and enjoy my senior year as a senior. And I would be bored without my friends and family.
I sit down next to Lydia, shooting her a smile as a take in a deep breath, the reality of this being my last first day in high school.
I look over and frown seeing Scott sit down next to Kira, who was across from up. Kira also looks pretty surprised that he's here, I guess he has been working hard lately.
Kira clears her throat softly, "Scott? Are you in the right class?" She asks.
"AP Biology," Scott says, his eyebrows raised.
"Do you know what AP stands for?" Lydia asks him.
"Advanced Placement," he replies with a proud smile on his face. He pulls out his book, which is highlighted with sticky notes as bookmarks in certain places, he's been working hard. I smile at him proudly, he's come a long way since Sophomore year.
"Welcome to AP Biology. Let's see who's awake. Can somebody tell me what plasmids are?" Mrs. Finch says, drawing my attention to her.
"Circular, self-replicating DNA molecules often used in cloning proteins," Lydia answers quickly.
"Nicely stated, Lydia. Now can you tell me what vitamin is absorbed by the stomach via parietal cell production of a glycoprotein?" Mrs. Finch asks.
Lydia looked stumped, but I knew the answer. "B12," I tell her.
"Very good, Noelle. Mr. McCall, did you know the answer?" She asks him.
"Um, no." He replies, looking up from his book.
"It's a common test question. What's your number one college pick?" She asks.
"Um-"
"Stop saying, um." She interrupts.
"Sorry. UV Davis." He replies confidently.
"Good choice. It's the best school on the West Coast for biological and physical sciences. You're in the right class if that's what you're hoping for." She tells him. The then looks to the rest of us, "Who else here thinks they're in the right class?"
I look back and see Theo in the back, raising his hand with a small smirk. One by one, the rest of us raise our hands too.
"Good. Then you should be prepared for the test tomorrow," Mrs. Finch says causing a few people to groan. "Don't be so disappointed. This test is specifically to help you determine whether you should actually be in AP Biology. You have two weeks to drop. Tomorrow's test will just weed out the ones that shouldn't be here. And that could be any of you." She tells us, shooting Scott a small look.
Soon later, the bell rings, and I head to the second of my three classes. I had them scheduled in a row, in the morning so that I could leave after that, and not have to come back.
After my last class of the day, I was standing by my locker with Lydia, talking about the AP Bio test tomorrow, when I look over and saw Tracy, a pretty, quiet girl in our grade, standing by her locker, breathing pretty heavily with a look
of panic on her face. Lydia frowned, seeming to have seen it too as we walk over to her.
"Tracy? Tracy, are you ok?" I ask putting a hand on her shoulder.
She seems to have snapped out of her daze, as she turns to us with a panicked expression on her face. "How about we go outside," Lydia suggests. Tracy nods, and we lead her outside.
"I know what parasomnia is, Mom. But what about the feathers?" Lydia asks her Mom, as we stand in her office, Tracy waiting outside.
"People with night terrors have done far stranger things than eating their own pillows. And anyway, I already told her to take the rest of the day off, but she said she didn't want to miss the first day." her Mom tells her.
"Let us try. We're done with class for the day. We can take her home and talk to her." Lydia suggests.
"Girls, she's having trouble sleeping. If she needs help beyond that, we will get her professional help." She tells us.
Lydia looks at me with a smirk, "I couldn't agree more."
I frowned in confusion, professional help, who do we know that would... oh, of course, Jordan.
"Yes, we will definitely leave it to the professionals," I say smirking before Lydia and I leave the room.
Lydia then takes Tracy to her house, and I drive, calling Jordan on my way. "Hey, how do you feel about taking another break from all that paperwork?"