Chapter 4

"So the Walcotts were first

"So the Walcotts were first. At least that we know about," Stiles says as we set up on his police board in his room. Scott, Stiles, and I left the lake house, and Kira, Lydia, and Malia stayed to see if Lydia could figure out another key.
"Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute," I say as Stiles tapes names and pictures to the board, linking them if needed.
"Weapon of choice, a military tomahawk. But then The Mute was killed by Peter Hale after he tried to blow up Derek with a Claymore mine." Stiles says as he continues to add things to the board.
"Next was Demarco, he delivered a keg to the party at Lydia's lake house. And got decapitated outside his car." I say.
"And then last night, 23 year old Carrie Hudson."
Soon later, we travel to the police station and start to explain this stuff to my father.
"It's a dead pool. A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it, the rest still has to be decoded." Scott explains as he shows the list to my dad, whose eyes widen when he sees our names on the list.
"Who found this list?" My dad asks after observing the list.
"Lydia."
"How?"
"She wrote it. Actually she transcribed it, without realizing it." I reply.
"Banshee?"
"Banshee."
"Beautiful. Alright, what are these numbers next to the names?" Dad asks.
"We're getting to that. First, you need to know that the code was broken by a cipher key," Stiles says to him.
"Wait, do you mean, like a... like a key word?" He asks.
"It's actually a name," I say.
"Allison," Scott says sadly.
"Her name broke a third of the list," Stiles explains.
"And now we think there's two other cipher keys," I add.
"Which will give us the rest of the names.... Ok. So how do we get the cipher keys?"my Dad asks.
"Same way we got the code," Stiles explains.
"Lydia. She's been out at the lake house all weekend trying to find the other two key words," Scott adds.
Our Dad looks down at the pictures of Carrie and Demarco,"You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie, hmm? And what about these other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. Are they werewolves too?"
"We don't know. But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here," I explain.
"Here being Beacon Hills? Or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000." our dad states
"And dropping," Stiles interrupts.
Dad glares at Stiles,"If we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000. Look, how many, werewolves, banshees, kitsunes, connectors, and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about? And what happens if the next cipher key not 12 names, but 100?" He asks.
"We don't think there would be that many. There's a limit. Because of the numbers." Stiles says while pointing at the paper.
"We think that once we decode the names, the numbers will add up to 117," Scott explains.
"117 what?" He asks.
"Million," I reply.
Stiles takes the paper and writes in which ones are thousands and which ones are millions. When we figured this out, it made my heart drop, seeing as I was the most so far. And having no super healing, it wouldn't be that hard to take me out.
"117 million dollars, Dad. Stolen from the Hale vault, and is being used by someone to finance all these murders," Stiles explains.
"Someone who wants every supernatural in Beacon Hills dead," I add.
"So, the coded list goes out. And somehow these professional assassins get that list-"
"And the cipher key," Stiles adds.
"And they go after the names on the list like my daughter. They being killers with no mouths, tomahawks, thermo-cut wires that can take your head off," Dad says while staring at me, as if he was imagining me murdered.
"Let me see. Carrie was also stabbed, what are these marks?" I ask, pointing to the weird marks around the stab wounds.
"We're not sure yet. We're still waiting on the M.E.'s report... There's one other think I-I don't get. How did the new assassin know that Demarco was going to be at the lake house?" Dad asks.
"Everyone knows he delivers kegs to teenagers for a little extra cash," Scott explains.
"So, whoever ordered that keg, killed Demarco." Dad says.
"It was someone at the party, a student."
-I woke up the next day and had to get ready for school. I showered and got dressed in a casual maroon dress, a black leather jacket, and black booties. After curling my hair and finishing up in the bathroom, I grab my bag and phone and head to my jeep and then go to school.
During our free period, Lydia, Malia,and I try and trigger her banshee powers to get the other cipher keys so we can unlock the other 2 parts of the dead pool. Malia and I sat close to Lydia in the art room as we watched her stare at the blank easel.
"Hey Lydia, it would help if you actually drew something," I say sarcastically causing Lydia to roll her eyes in annoyance.
"Please stop hovering," Lydia says to Malia as she is literally leaning right on her shoulder.
"I'm not hovering, I'm waiting. Draw something, write something. We need to know who else is on that list," Malia says not moving away from Lydia.
"You mean, you want to know if you're on the list," I say in annoyance, jealous of not being on the list. I mean who would pay 35 million dollars to kill me? Am I really that bad, I try to be semi nice to everyone. Besides I'm not dangerous, I don't have claws or anything.
"If someone's coming to take my head off, then yeah, I'd like to know," Malia replies honestly.
"Can you please just sit down? You're making me nervous." Lydia snaps after a minute causing Malia to sit back down next to me.
"Sorry."
Lydia goes back to drawing and Malia and I look through this book, which gives us an idea. Malia calls Lydia's name causing her to snap at her,"What?"
"Maybe we need help. From another banshee," I say pointing to a picture of a banshee in a book.
"Meredith," Lydia says with a sigh.
A few seconds later the bell rings causing us to walk out and down the hall together.
"Eichen House says Meredith can't have visitors without permission from family members," Lydia explains as we walk down the steps.
"Well that's not going to be easy since her whole family is dead," I reply.
"Perfect."
"Okay, maybe we can go back to the art room? Or the music room?" Malia suggests causing Lydia to turn around and face her.
"I'm not plucking piano strings for two hours waiting for some supernatural inspiration," She says, a frustrated look on her face.
"Fine, what else do banshees do?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.
"You think I know? I can just turn this on. I'm not like you guys. I don't have claws, glowing eyes, or super senses. I just have voices in my head," Lydia says too Malia, maybe bit too loud, causing some people to look at her weirdly, but I don't think she really cares. Lydia sighs and walks away causing Malia and I to look at each other and sigh.
"You go find her, I'll go see if Stiles and Scott have figured out anything about out new assassin," I say to Malia, to which she nods and walks off. I walk outside, my eyes widening when I see Liam talking to his old school players and he seams to be really pissed off. I walk closer so I could hear their conversation.
"I just wanted to say....have a good game," Liam says making me smile, good for him, controlling his anger.
This ok looking guy in a black shirt laughs at him,"That's cute Liam. Is that what they told you to say in Anger Management? Apologize and everything's fine? You demolished Coach's car." This causes Liam to frown even more as it looks like he begins to struggle with controlling his anger.
"I paid for it," he snaps.
"Yeah, you're going to pay for it. We're gonna break you in half out there. And it's gonna be all your fault," The ok looking looking guy taunts. I look down at Liam's hand, my eyes widening when I see blood dripping out of it. Stiles and Scott begin to run over and so do I.
Scott quickly gets Liam out of there and Stiles talks to the guys as I stand beside him
"Hey, what going on, prep students? Welcome to our little public high school. How are you doing?" Stiles then sticks out his hand to shake the guy's hand, but he doesn't shake it. "Stiles. That's a firm handshake you got there. Uh, we're very excited for the scrimmage tonight. Uh, but let's keep it clean. No rough stuff out there...Alright, see you on the field," Stiles rambles before walking away.
The annoying guy turns to me and smirks,"Hey beautiful what's your name? I'm Brett."
I roll my eyes,"Noelle, but frankly I think I'm a bit too mature for you. I wouldn't want to go on dates with you to the monkey bars to hold hands. I'll pass." I say with a smirk causing their teammates to turn and laugh at him, after getting the satisfaction of embarrassing him, I walk away.
As I'm walking away, I feel my phone vibrate from my jacket pocket. I pull it out and see my Dad is calling me. I frown in confusion, usually he doesn't call me right after school. I quickly answer it, not wanting to miss the call.
"Hey Dad, what's up?" I ask.
"Hey, I need you and Lydia to get down to the station, now," he replies firmly.
"Why? What's wrong?" I ask, frowning in concern.
"Parrish found Meredith wandering the streets. He picked her up and brought her here. She's asking for you and Lydia," he replies.
My eyes widen,"Ok, we'll be there as soon as we can." I say before hanging up and going to find Lydia.
I find her in the parking lot pulling out with Malia.
"Hey, Jordan, I mean Parrish found Meredith wandering. She's asking for us, I'll meet you at the police station,"I say. Lydia nods and drives off. I jog to my jeep and get inside, driving to the police station.
"I'm aware this is probably about the dead pool. But I can't let her leave the station. And in about a minute, I'm gonna have to call Eichen House and let them know she's here," My dad says as we stand outside of the room where Meredith was in.
"Give us an hour," Lydia suggests.
"You got 15 minutes," he replies firmly.
We nod and walk by him, into the room. I stand directly in front of Meredith and a few seconds later,
I feel someone stand beside me. I look up and see Jordan, shooting him a small smile, to which he returns.
Lydia hands her a phone and give her a nod of encouragement.
"Meredith, aren't you going to answer it?" I ask.
She slowly stands up, grabbing my arm pulling me forward,"It's not ringing." She whispers before pulling away and sitting back down.
I look at Lydia,"She said it's not ringing," I say causing her to look at Meredith with an annoyed look on her face.
We both kneel down in front of her,"Meredith, you came here to help us, remember?" Lydia says a little bit rudely.
Meredith shrugged looking at Lydia,"You called me." she says smiling.
Lydia frowns,"What do you mean I called you?" She asks.
"I heard you,"she whispers.
"Meredith, can I ask you a question?" I hear Jordan say from behind me. She looks up at him and nods, so he kneels down next to me.
"When you need help, when you need to find something, is there someone you reach out to? Maybe someone you call?" He asks nicely, which makes me hold back a smile, admiring his kindness. He's not only good looking on the outside, but the inside too, and that's one of the reasons why I like him.
"It depends. Different people for different things," she replies.
"So maybe there's a number that can help us? Someone we can call," I say softly.
She nods,"Yes."
"Would you be ok telling us?" Jordan asks his tone still soft and kind.
"Yes, it 2,4,3,6," she says, a proud look on her face as we all frown in confusion.
"Mer, we need a few more numbers," Malia says, talking for the first time since we came here.
"No, that's the number," Meredith replies, shaking her head.
"Phone numbers are 10 digits," Malia informs her.
Meredith shakes her head again as she repeats,"That's the number."
Malia and Lydia started to get frustrated with her, while I tried to remember that she was an unstable mental patient, who probably can't handle lots of stress.
"Meredith, phone numbers always have 10 digits," Lydia says getting impatient.
"That's the number."
"Meredith," Lydia snaps.
My dad grabs her shoulders and backs her up as Jordan and I stand back up.
"Lydia, I think that's the best we're gonna get out of her," my Dad says when Lydia turns to face him.
Lydia shakes her head,"No, there has to be more." she says before turning back to Meredith,"What's the rest of it, Meredith? Hmm?" She snaps.
I sigh,"Lydia, you need to calm down. Like he said that's the best we're going to get."
Lydia ignores my comment and gets in Meredith's face,"Just concentrate!"she yells.
"But.... that's.... that's the number," Meredith says a bit frightened. Lydia sighs and walks away. My Dad bends down and puts his hands on her shoulders.
"That's ok sweetheart, we're gonna get you-"
"That's the number," She shouts.
Once we all exit the room, I turn to Jordan and my Dad,"I'm gonna go talk to Stiles at the school, tell him why we weren't there so he doesn't worry."
"Ok, but be safe." He replies and I know he's referring to the dead pool.
I nod and walk out and get into my jeep and drive to the school. On the way I start to get nervous, what if I die soon? But then I decide even though I don't have healing powers like Scott, Kira, and Malia, or the fact that I'm worth the most, I can't let that scare me. I can't live in fear until this dead pool is over. I pull in and decide to go through the school and through the locker room. When I get there, my eyes widen at the sight of two passed out paramedics and the guy from earlier, the guy from earlier, Brett, crawling on the floor groaning.
I kneel down in front of him, putting a hand on his shoulder,"Hey, are you ok?"
"He'll be dead soon, kind of like you will be."
My heard begins to pound as I turn around and see a freshman who is always around Garrett, Violet.
My eyes widen as I begin to back up,"You don't have to do this," I say while shaking my head.
She laughs swinging around her thermal-cut wire around. "Yes I do, now I don't understand why you're the most on the whole list. You really can't be that hard to kill, I mean you're basically human. But with 35 million dollars, would never have to work a day in my life again, and I could have whatever I want."
She runs towards me and tried grabbing me, but I shove her away. Once she put the necklace back on her neck, she ran at me again, this time tackling me to the ground. We fight rolling on top of each other. She manages to punch me in the jaw, but I get her right back when I get my knee up and knee her in the stomach, getting her off of me. I stand up ready to defend myself, when I hear Brett groan. It was my mistake turning around, because soon I was tackled to the ground onto my stomach as my hands fly protectively in front of my head as I fall. I continue to fight sending my elbow back hitting her in the eye, she falls off me, hissing in pain. I quickly flip over, but it's no use, she's angrier that ever, and she straddles me and puts her hands on my throat cutting off my air supply.
"I've got to say, you've lasted longer against me than some werewolves do. I'll give you that." She says smiling as I gasp, no air left in my lungs as I hit my hands against her arms that keep wrapping tighter and tighter around my neck, but it's no use, I'm too weak. Just as I start fading into black, she was pulled off me and air rushes back into my lungs as I cough hard trying to get air back into me. I look up and see Violet unconscious on the floor. I let out a sigh of relief, laying back down, breathing heavily and exhausted from fighting. I see both Scott and Stiles run on either side of me.
"Are you ok?" Scott ask.
"I'm.. alright, I'll... be fine..." I rasp out in between gasps as the boys kneel over me, concerned looks on their faces. After sort of regaining my breath I kind of sit up, the boys helping me the rest of the way, leaning me up against a wall.
"Stiles I think you'd better call Dad."